Noppoo Choc Mini vs KBC Poker vs KBT Pure

maxrunner

22 May 2012, 01:32

Hi all! New member here. Im a proud owner of a HHKP2 keyboard, but currently im searching for a new mx keyboard with similar layout. Out of all those, what do you guys consider the best.

regards,

maxrunner

22 May 2012, 11:56

No one? :P

fossala
Elite +1

22 May 2012, 12:02

I would pick the choc mini. The poker is poor quality and has crap firmware and I don't know enough about the pure but AFAIK it has the same mounting and flexing of the poker.

If you are comming from a HHKB expect to be a little bit dissapointed with anything else.

maxrunner

22 May 2012, 12:39

I just wanted to change the key feeling. I actually have 2 HHKP2. I've seen that there's a new model around called S ultra silent. I wonder how different it is...

maxrunner

22 May 2012, 12:47

Also this is off topic, but do you know any way in linux to make two combination key generate other?For example pressing Control + Shift + z will generate the > key. The HHKP2 doesnt have the euro key "<>". ive been trying the xbindkeys but to no avail.

fossala
Elite +1

22 May 2012, 13:37

I have a type-s HHKB there is no difference except the keycaps are strait and it is quite.
As for your other question you can use an international layout, it will make the left alt key an "alt gr" key and give you a third layer. If you use a Desktop Enviroment like Gnome, KDE or XFCE it should be really simple.

maxrunner

22 May 2012, 14:47

Im currently using Ubuntu. Need to test this.

fossala
Elite +1

22 May 2012, 15:03

It shouldn't be hard, just change you layout setting.

mSSM

22 May 2012, 16:23

fossala wrote:I would pick the choc mini. The poker is poor quality and has crap firmware and I don't know enough about the pure but AFAIK it has the same mounting and flexing of the poker.

If you are comming from a HHKB expect to be a little bit dissapointed with anything else.
Well, I'd say the build quality is alright, but about the firmware... I have recently noticed that especially when I am typing for several hours straight, the firmware really does get into the way. I just hate that sometimes I accidentally activate that arrow-key-switch (heck do I know how this is called... Fn+Space = the bottom right keys behave like arrow keys instead of what they actually do).

That is something I indeed find very, very annoying.

You'd say the Noppoo Choc Mini is better in that regard?

Man, I think I should just get it over with and get that bloody HHKB already....

maxrunner

22 May 2012, 17:33

I use the Portubuese layout so i only lose the <> key...

gorkypl

22 May 2012, 19:53

You can bind eurosign to (for example) Alt+5 by adding the following line to the keyboard-relevant InputClass section of xorg.conf.

Code: Select all

Option		"XkbOptions"	"eurosign:5"
More options can be seen by doing

Code: Select all

cat /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base.lst | grep eurosign
I don't know your Linux skills, so ask if you need more verbose explanation.

IvanIvanovich

23 May 2012, 00:44

I have little experience with the hhkb only tried out a friends a couple times, but I do own 2 Pokers and they are my absolute favorite board. I really disliked the layout of the Choc mini (never owned one, but another board with a near identical layout), and I think the Pure's 2nd layer layout is even worse than Poker. Poker build quality is similar to other pcb mount like those made by Cherry. I can't say I have had any problems about it 'flexing' that others have claimed. Many seem to equate plate mount to quality, and pcb mount to crap which I find to be untrue.

maxrunner

23 May 2012, 13:32

maxrunner wrote:I use the Portubuese layout so i only lose the <> key...
Im a bit neewbie, but i've trying with xbindkeys which i assume it wont work by your answer :P

gorkypl

23 May 2012, 13:43

xbindkeys is not needed if the only thing you want to achieve is getting the eurosign. You should edit xorg.conf (as I have written above) or use setxkbmap if you want a runtime solution.

Anyway, try to get familiar with XKB config and ask if you need more information:
http://www.x.org/releases/current/doc/x ... onfig.html

maxrunner

23 May 2012, 15:29

gorkypl wrote:xbindkeys is not needed if the only thing you want to achieve is getting the eurosign. You should edit xorg.conf (as I have written above) or use setxkbmap if you want a runtime solution.

Anyway, try to get familiar with XKB config and ask if you need more information:
http://www.x.org/releases/current/doc/x ... onfig.html
Thanks. Ill try this later at home if im able to. But regarding the keyboards the consensus is the choc mini or the poker. I think i only find choc minis at ebay...

Enki

01 Jun 2012, 20:12

fossala wrote:I would pick the choc mini. The poker is poor quality and has crap firmware and I don't know enough about the pure but AFAIK it has the same mounting and flexing of the poker.
The word on GH is that the Pure has an additional screw mounted near the center of the PCB which prevents the Poker's flexing. I don't own a Poker yet, but will be acquiring one soon. My overall impression is that statements of poor quality may be overstated. And I imagine that supporting the underside of the PCB to prevent flexing might be a dead easy mod.

That said, I do own a Choc Mini (typing on it now), and it's a really nice board. It compares well to my Filco TKL. Although it may be objectively of a slightly lower build quality, I can't say that affects the user experience at all, and in fact I like the feel/sound of the browns on the Choc Mini better than on the Filco. The Choc's keycaps are known to fade relatively easily, though. Mine are starting to show wear after about 4-5 months of heavy use.

My only real gripes with the Choc: 1) I wish Home/End were on the default layer, with PgUp/Dn on a function layer. I use Home/End for text highlighting a *lot*. So I have to use Autohotkey to reverse those keys. 2) I wish the Fn key were on the left, or that there was a second one on the left. 3) Ugly logo on the spacebar.

None of those are dealbreakers for me. It's a great board.

maxrunner

14 Jul 2012, 18:53

Is the KBC Poker from the same company as the Pure and Race???

net2522

14 Jul 2012, 18:55

Pure and Race both are from KBT. Poker is from KBC. I think...

maxrunner

14 Jul 2012, 19:05

Interesting, thanks

levitha

14 Jul 2012, 19:49

I have both a Noppoo Choc Mini (brown) and KBT PURE (red).

For the Noppoo Choc mini i have the white one with PBT keycaps. It just feels great quality for very reasonable price.
I love the Noppoo and use it almost everyday on my work.

For the KBT PURE i got dissapointed. One of the switches was not soldered properly on the PBC (board) - so i had to desolder the switch solder it on again to get it working.

At that price i expect a product thats working out-of-the-box. I bought mine at Mechanicalkeyboards.com, and i wrote a mail to them about the problem, but without any answer. That means, if your keyboard is broken when you get it in mail, you're screwed.

I love the small layout of the PURE though. About the quality i experience no flex as some people might say. It's indeed lightweight - but no flex.

Hope this helps.

GH1391401

14 Jul 2012, 21:36

Is the Choc Mini in the same category as the Poker and Pure? Poker and Pure are 'too small' for me meaning there are buttons I use that I don't want to have to hit FN for. I really like the Race's layout and I think it is closest to the Choc Mini's

4en

14 Jul 2012, 21:50

the choc mini is the same size as the kbt race and also the deck 82
the poker is the smallest size alongside with the pure and hhkb

bebuxe

14 Jul 2012, 22:55

>net2522
I thought that race, poker, and pure were distributed by the same company: Vortex.

net2522

14 Jul 2012, 23:30

My bad sorry.

maxrunner

15 Jul 2012, 03:52

so of all these, the choc mini is the better built?

qtan5370

15 Jul 2012, 05:17

As a seller, I would have to say the Noppo mini now turn out to be not so good quality, at least for those recently production. RAM rate is petty higher when it approaching one year of use and many defective product. They are making changes but we don't know how it would be.

The problem with Noppo is the PCB, they use cheaper PCB. Cherry switches are all the same quality, but PCB is the part make boards different in term of quality. Poor PCB will case register problem after using for a while.

bebuxe

15 Jul 2012, 13:21

I really want to join this thread with mines since I was looking for a Race Alternative. Looking at the one JaccoW referenced Keycool 84 (http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=13489217832) But I can't order (我不知道中文).

But overall, if you like to learn more, deskthority.net has wiki's for these: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Main_Page

If you are looking to buy another, I'd say Poker, Pure, or Race (OS compatability with Noppoo I have not hacked).

PS
hehehe, might buy a Siig for fun later.

naisanza

17 Oct 2012, 04:57

What flexes?

I agree with nothing being better than the HHKB. I have a non-print one and everyone suddenly forgets how to type. I love watching them in confusion.

naisanza

17 Oct 2012, 05:08

mSSM wrote: Man, I think I should just get it over with and get that bloody HHKB already....
Definitely, can't go wrong with the HHKB. Here, had one for year now (non-print version). Absolutely love it.

laffindude

21 Oct 2012, 14:55

Poker PCB bows in the middle during typing. If you keep your fingers on the homerow and type with the other hand, you can feel the board vibrating up and down. Pure doesn't have the same problem, at least not to the same extent, since it has an extra support screw (all PCB mount boards flexes to some degree, since PCB is less rigid than metal plate). The PCB flexing is why people stuff poker cases with foam. Honestly the worst one is Race since the support is uneven. Right hand has more flex than the left. The center support is between G and H like the pure, but unlike the pure it is not in the center of the board.

Return to “Keyboards”