Is Apple Extended Keyboard II good to start with?

logout

16 May 2016, 20:38

Hello,

I hope you don't mind me asking this question, I'm quite a new here. I have read some stuff on the Wiki, browsed the forum and my question really is as simple as "Is Apple Extended Keyboard II good to start with?"

Until today I've been using only cheap rubber dome keyboards, best of these is probably IBM SK-8820, I have at work. At home I have chiclet Genius keyboard, which is becoming more and more annoying, as it seems to be in final stage of its lifespan.

So I want something better. I have two Apple Extended II keyboards, I can probably make them into one fully working and use Teensy 2.0 to connect it to my current desktop. Is it worth it? Thanks.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

16 May 2016, 20:40

Worth it:)

Ray

16 May 2016, 20:47

totally

Touch_It

16 May 2016, 20:55

Absolutely.

emdude
Model M Apologist

16 May 2016, 20:56

I'd certainly say so, too. Are there any differences between your two AEK IIs? If you have one with Alps SKCM Salmon, I'd definitely use that.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

16 May 2016, 21:01

YES. Because it's a very solid keyboard with a very usable layout. No compromise necessary! Super daily driver. No wonder it was the most popular Apple keyboard back in the day. Go for it.

keycap

16 May 2016, 21:44

Yes, just as long as you get the converter. And just as long as the board is in good condition. Condition makes a huge difference in how the switches will feel.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

16 May 2016, 21:56

Very true, very good points keycap!

logout

16 May 2016, 22:08

emdude wrote: I'd certainly say so, too. Are there any differences between your two AEK IIs? If you have one with Alps SKCM Salmon, I'd definitely use that.
Haven't disassembled and cleaned them yet, but as both are made in Ireland, none of them is Salmon according to wiki. One is 1989, one is 1995, one is ANSI, one is ISO (czech layout). I would prefer the ISO layout, however I will probably mix the keycaps (if possible) as I need czech characters, but hate the symbols instead of words on non-alphanumeric keys.

fohat
Elder Messenger

16 May 2016, 22:54

logout wrote:
Haven't disassembled and cleaned them yet, but as both are made in Ireland, none of them is Salmon according to wiki. One is 1989, one is 1995, one is ANSI, one is ISO (czech layout).
I don't know about Ireland, in the US there is a good chance that the 1989 copyright would be the old style.

The 1995 copyright is likely to be dampened whites rather than creams. If it was in the US, anyway.

Findecanor

16 May 2016, 23:03

keycap wrote: Condition makes a huge difference in how the switches will feel.
This! The switches are sensitive to dust, and dust would make them scratchy.

The AEKII is one of the genuine classics. I know people outside enthusiast circles who have fond memories of them from back in the day.

logout

17 May 2016, 09:05

Is there a way how to clean switches? Give the keyboard bath in isopropyl alcohol, maybe?

Chyros

17 May 2016, 10:01

logout wrote: Is there a way how to clean switches? Give the keyboard bath in isopropyl alcohol, maybe?
No, I wouldn't advise that.

I made a tutorial on how to clean Alps switches a while ago, maybe you'll find it useful:

keyboard Kultist

22 Aug 2019, 18:27

I just ended a two week period with an AEK and must say the orange alps were just terrific. I swapped it out with an AEK II, this particular one has dampened cream alps. The experience is totally different but very pleasant. There's not much typing noise, and it sort of feels like what you'd get if you took a great rubber dome board and fixed everything yo didn't like about it.

I have several other AEK II, some I think with salmon alps, I'll probable do them the next time I swap keyboards.

andrewjoy

22 Aug 2019, 18:31

Its a very good quality board, if you get relatively clean switches that is! Not quite as nice as an AEK1 but its still loverly.

onrage > salmon when it comes to switches. Orange is to slamon what blue is to white.

Think some AEK2s have cream alps , they can be good but get very nasty with dirt ( think its the rubber)

Darkshado

24 Aug 2019, 01:50

Per the wiki Apple Extended Keyboard "1" come with Orange or Salmon Alps, while Apple Extended Keyboard II with Salmon, Cream Dampened, White Dampened or Mitsumi Standard linears.

lhutton

24 Aug 2019, 23:07

Yes, I use one with my Mac when I have to use it for testing. I prefer other keyboards (Model Ms) with my Linux machines though. Just made a video about it and the various adapters I have laying around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaQJDUeUTQ4

Personally I like the cream Alps and they are a bit quieter if you have an open office setup. If you're in the US it seems every school system used Macs in the '90s so there are piles of AEKIIs laying around in surplus bins and recycling places. I haven't really done much with cleaning the switches as there are just so many of these things floating around it's not terribly hard to find one in very good shape for basically nothing. I usually just clean the keycaps and case and call it day. The AEKI commands a much higher price as I think people seem to gut them and transplant the salmon switches.

Return to “Keyboards”