My new daily driver - HHKB Pro2 BT HiPro

ShivaYash

03 Aug 2018, 16:08

Hello all,
I've been silent for a while, until the early hours of this morning when I posted about finding some HiPro caps to complete this setup. I have been using my little BT board all day and can confirm, the HiPro mod works very well. There is the slightest of keycap wobble, but no more than the same wobble on the original board, seen in the background of this photograph.
L1090666.jpg
L1090666.jpg (9.7 MiB) Viewed 5999 times
Three issues arise (for me) from the placement of HiPro caps on the HHKB
1. The top LH and RH keys are out of alignment... this is a little annoying but being symmetrical, its not too difficult to live with.
2. The RH shift key is just that little bit too small for the space, so I am on the hunt for a properly fitting RH shift key. #longshot
3. The 104UG is out of action... it only takes HiPro caps.

I really wanted this set up for some time, and I really like both the look and feel of the caps. Moreso that the original 104, which I always found a little light for my tastes. But as the 'donor' board was purchased by my IT department, I am delighted with the result. Unsure if the HHKB will keep the caps, as Mu said some time ago, its not the right way to do this, putting an excellent board out of action, harvesting its caps. It seems cruel, almost.

Anyway, nice to be back and happy weekend and greetings from Berlin.
SY

PS. Yes, my desk is messy. Sorry about that.

Muirium
µ

08 Aug 2018, 20:32

Hey Shiva, funny seeing you around again. I've been quiet a while myself.

Regards keyboards, I think we're on similar paths. Here's my battle hardened board, a fellow Bluetooth HHKB:
_MG_2418.JPG
_MG_2418.JPG (4.4 MiB) Viewed 5898 times
You can tell it's my work keyboard. I never noticed that fleck of dirt until I put the camera down! No battery bulge on this one, as it's my good old Type-S, upgraded at last with Hasu's controller.
_MG_2416.JPG
_MG_2416.JPG (4.05 MiB) Viewed 5898 times
Charge it up the same way it always plugged in. Hasu cunningly put the USB hub ports to better use: the dark one holds a power switch (on = BT / off = USB) and the LED you see is one of several, sharing a pair of light pipes. Orange = paired and actively connected to a host. The darkness beside it indicates the board is running from internal power instead of charging.

As for caps: fortunately I'm into Topre's standard cylindricals. Indeed, love them to bits. Sphericals are a more difficult proposition. Though where there's a will, there's more than just one way
Spoiler:

ShivaYash

09 Aug 2018, 22:09

NIce to hear from you Mu, it has indeed been some time. What a lovely board, I opted to go stock re. the BT and have the so-called ugly bump on the front of my board. The HiPro caps didn't last on the board, after a few days I felt uneasy, seeing the dismantled HiPro 104u staring back at me, all in the name of vanity. I've realised that stock is the best way to go. I have also seen that post you have referred me to. But the bother of changing out the sliders... I am not sure its for me. For the moment, I have made my peace with things and will carry on with Topre's standard cylindricals. I have white printed caps with a little red esc key. I like your Type-S logo - very smart.

With best wishes,
SY
Berlin

ShivaYash

09 Aug 2018, 23:27

Mu, would you recommend the Type-S over the regular? Does it really feel that different, or is it just the lovely logo, also the knowing, you have the elite, of the elite? #placebo?

Muirium
µ

11 Aug 2018, 00:20

Ha! The (functionally equivalent) elite of the elite would be an industrial SSK. I don't even have an industrial *anything* as they're too pricey for me. Looks alone are only worth so much.

No, the Type-S has proved itself again and again because of *where* I can use it. The S is for silence. I've used it at night in hospital wards, and I've typed up research at the National Library of Scotland where it's so quiet you can hear a pin… "sssssh!! this is the reading room!" The blue Alps I'm typing on this moment make that line something of an irony, but I'd never take this board any place subtle! No, my HHKB is the perfect tool for that.

In practice, the HHKB Type-S is just as quiet as writing on my (2013) MacBook Pro's own keyboard, or one of Apple's Bluetooth ones. So you can get away with it anywhere, which really is handy for a travel keyboard, and downright essential for the work I do on my iPad. The HHKB types much better on my lap than a laptop, let alone a tablet cover, and it has all the Topre feel you expect. With those flashy caps, I even get a regular stream of conversations starting "I like your keyboard!" No complaints at that.

If I could change one thing about that keyboard—by far the most practical board in my collection—and you've got to bear in mind I've changed several things about it already!—it would be its thickness. Something non-keyboard people find cute is my assertion that it's a light, compact board. Not compared to anything they use! The HHKB feels nice and light to me, but it is a bit of a squeeze in my (revived 12" PowerBook) laptop bag along with the iPad. I'm considering building a Bluetooth 60% of my own with DSA caps to give it a slender rival, though I doubt I could beat the HHKB on any other point.

ShivaYash

11 Aug 2018, 12:27

Haha, indeed, industrial SSK!

I have just pulled the trigger on the Type S that was being advertised on DT, being sold by a fellow German resident. I am interested to see, feel and hear any differences.

Maybe I'll go down the BT conversion kit you have got - what is the battery life like? It is a real shame that PFU didn't have the idea to make the BT version wired, as well, in case of battery issues. I do miss having a wired HHKB.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the Type S. I often travel with mine so would like it to also be thinner. Would like to see a set up of your iPad and HHKB, do you have a fancy stand?

wobbled

22 Sep 2019, 23:01

Here's me replying to some old ass threads I missed out on having disappeared for a while...

Do not give up on that 104UG HiPro you ripped the keycaps off!
I have the exact same HHKB HiPro, but I have now managed to save the 104UG Hipro from the skip by replacing all the top housings.
I tried using the ones from cheap Plum keyboards, however the fit was surprisingly shit, and it felt equally shit.
So I bought a Sony BKE for the Original BKE keycaps & domes for another of my HHKBs, and used the housings from that to save my realforce. Also bought a fresh set of caps from KBDFans.
Always be on the look out for realforce, or topre parts in general being sold.

Here's the Realforce HiPro - De HiPro'd :lol: (I need to get inside and replacing the top housing for the left arrow key but apart from that it's perfect)
hipro.jpg
hipro.jpg (2.54 MiB) Viewed 4811 times

Muirium
µ

23 Sep 2019, 09:24

ShivaYash wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 12:27
do you have a fancy stand?
Not exactly…
Again, it’s always function that comes first for me. This wee bamboo block slides into my bag, or often just my pocket, and gives the iPad just the tilt it needs. I don’t need an arm or joints for my travel setup. Bulk be damned! Just a flat edge on any desk, and my keyboard on my lap, where it’s always the most comfortable for me.

andrewjoy

23 Sep 2019, 10:34

Looks nice!

But.

Your IT department ordered you a realforce ? I wish i had the budget to order everyone a realforce :D. Most i could justify is a G80-11900 for the AV rack :D

Fkazim

24 Sep 2019, 16:19

Damn bots again :(

Fkazim

24 Sep 2019, 16:51

Nice daily driver I like the keycaps a lot very sleek :D

Return to “Keyboards”