Compact ISO keyboard?

Bjerrk

09 Mar 2022, 14:34

Hi fellow Deskthoritarians,
I'm going abroad (US) for some months and sadly cannot bring my tiny little keyboard collection.

But of course I will need to type on something while I'm there. The thing is, I can't stand ANSI enter and I'd like to have my "non-US backslash" ISO key just right of LShift as well. Other than that I'm fairly flexible when it comes to keyboard layout. I do fine with e.g. the XT layout.

So, do you have any recommendations for something that's:
  • Reasonably compact
  • Has ISO enter and ISO key next to LShift
  • Is not tremendously noisy. Moderately noisy is fine. ;)
  • Preferably something "vintage" or at least something one is likely to find second-hand. Something reasonably affordable as well.
Switch-wise, I'm interesting in anything you can come up with. From good domes (with sliders?) over Cherry ML to Hi-Tek Space Invaders. Bring it!

Thanks!

Myoth

09 Mar 2022, 14:42

HHKB JP

Bjerrk

09 Mar 2022, 14:54

Doesn't have the specified ISO features. But thanks.

Muirium
µ

09 Mar 2022, 14:56

If you're willing to slum it with Cherry ML, you're all set!

The HHKB-JP is much, much nicer, and has that dorky ISO Return you like. But its non-standard stagger may have you staggering!

Myoth

09 Mar 2022, 15:16

Bjerrk wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 14:54
Doesn't have the specified ISO features. But thanks.
  • Reasonably compact

it's a 60%
Has both keys
  • Is not tremendously noisy. Moderately noisy is fine. ;)
not any noisier than the average full-fledged rubberdome
  • Preferably something "vintage" or at least something one is likely to find second-hand.
Easy to find second-hand
  • Something reasonably affordable as well.
Maybe that's the point it least fills, but you can get them easily between 100 and 150€. I would say this is a reasonable price to put in a keyboard you'll use daily "for some months"

so yeah, I think you're mistaken. Consider an HHKB JP :mrgreen:

Bjerrk

09 Mar 2022, 15:57

Myoth wrote:
Has both keys
[...]
I know this is a typing forum, but a bit of reading goes a long way. ;)
Bjerrk wrote:I'd like to have my "non-US backslash" ISO key just right of LShift

Bjerrk

09 Mar 2022, 16:01

As for the Cherry ML trackball keyboard: Yes! That's a viable contender!

Findecanor

09 Mar 2022, 16:23

The Cherry ML keyboard has keys smaller than standard though, and you'd want one in perfect condition or it will be scratchy. (I've got one with broken trackball that isn't, and it is not fun)

Myoth

09 Mar 2022, 17:08

Bjerrk wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 15:57
Myoth wrote:
Has both keys
[...]
I know this is a typing forum, but a bit of reading goes a long way. ;)
Bjerrk wrote:I'd like to have my "non-US backslash" ISO key just right of LShift
:man_facepalming: fortunately, I know how to read, it is maybe you that doesn't know about the HHKB JP.
Screenshot_365.png
Screenshot_365.png (1.34 MiB) Viewed 2822 times

Muirium
µ

09 Mar 2022, 17:19

To be fair: it has to have ONE reasonably sized Shift. Look at that dinky little guy all the way over on the right. An ISO Shift (1.25u) would give you 2.25 units of total Shifts on this layout: which would be shit. :D

There’s a lot more I don’t like about that board. Look at what’s under N and M, right on my Spacebar hotspot: not just another key but an edge between keys! Diabolical.

People act like the HHKB JP is the HHKB ISO. It’s really no such thing.

Findecanor

09 Mar 2022, 17:41

Is the HHKB JP able to remap any of the JIS keys to the ISO key on the keyboard? The \_ろ and ¥ keys have different USB usage codes.
Personally, I would also not be comfortable with the tiny Backspace or the small Space bar being in the middle. (If the space bar had been 1.25u to the right, it would have been acceptable for me)

Also, you would have to source it in Europe. I heard this morning that mail service from Japan is suspended now, because air mail used to fly over Russia.
It would be easier to source parts in Europe and build a 60% or 65% with ISO and Cherry MX-type switches (but I suppose some here would yell "ewww" at that idea ;) )
Last edited by Findecanor on 09 Mar 2022, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.

Polecat

09 Mar 2022, 17:52

Ortek MCK-84, with your favorite flavor of Alps. Specifically the version with the reassignable blank key next to left shift.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=13826.0

edit: apparently that version is called MCK-84FX:

http://mousefan.telcontar.net/image/ortek.htm

Bjerrk

09 Mar 2022, 19:01

Myoth wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 17:08
it is maybe you that doesn't know about the HHKB JP.
Muirium wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 17:19
People act like the HHKB JP is the HHKB ISO. It’s really no such thing.
Findecanor wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 17:41
Is the HHKB JP able to remap any of the JIS keys to the ISO key on the keyboard? The \_ろ and ¥ keys have different USB usage codes.
So, yeah, let's move on from that HHKB JP :D

As previously indicated: I want ISO Enter and ISO Non-US Backslash in the usual positions.
Polecat wrote:
Ortek MCK-84, with your favorite flavor of Alps. Specifically the version with the reassignable blank key next to left shift.

Yes! That's something I've been considering as well. :) Question is which Alps variant to go for - I'm partial to the clicky ones, but they're perhaps a tad noisy (I'll be using it at a university, not sure what the office layout is like so far). Browns sounds interesting, but it's not something I have handy.

Muirium
µ

09 Mar 2022, 19:56

A tad. :roll:

Depends on your own comfort level with being “that guy” with the hipster ticky-tacky keyboard. Let’s investigate: do you carry a typewriter to the local bespoke beard café? And do you carry a well-wound, ticking pocket watch in your waistcoat? Inquiring minds!

Clicky!

Bjerrk

09 Mar 2022, 20:37

Muirium wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 19:56
Depends on your own comfort level with being “that guy” with the hipster ticky-tacky keyboard. Let’s investigate: do you carry a typewriter to the local bespoke beard café? And do you carry a well-wound, ticking pocket watch in your waistcoat?
I haven't tried that there cafeh thing you mention.

Surely, a loud keyboard is principally a device to deter loitering in one's office.

Now, regarding compact keyboards: I have a BTC 5100c that I'm quite fond of, except for the annoyingly un-ISO return key:

Muirium
µ

09 Mar 2022, 20:48

Bjerrk wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 20:37
Now, regarding compact keyboards: I have a BTC 5100c that I'm quite fond of, except for the annoyingly un-ISO return key:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/BBcAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg

Funny how there were so many variations on that theme. I prefer my unbadged Monterey. Even despite its silly return. :D

Still meaning to Bluetooth it up. A bit clicky, tho. ;)

Bjerrk

09 Mar 2022, 20:52

Aww, that thing is cute as a button!

(Or, in fact, cute as several buttons)

Polecat

10 Mar 2022, 03:37

Bjerrk wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 19:01
Polecat wrote:

Yes! That's something I've been considering as well. :) Question is which Alps variant to go for - I'm partial to the clicky ones, but they're perhaps a tad noisy (I'll be using it at a university, not sure what the office layout is like so far). Browns sounds interesting, but it's not something I have handy.
If it follows other Ortek models the MCK-84SX would have (white) Alps SKCM switches, with the FX model having some sort of clones. Mine (white SKCM) seems to have a nicer sound and feel than the other compact Alps boards I've tried. I'm not sure if that's the switches, or the way the case and plate are made, but it's a really nice keyboard.

mmm

03 Apr 2022, 11:58

Have you come to a conclusion on what keyboard to bring to the US? :D

Bjerrk

09 Jun 2022, 20:12

In case anyone's interested, I ended up going with this little guy which mmm found for me! Thanks, man!

I linearized and damped the switches, making it ideal for office use.
20220606_132555_smaller.png
20220606_132555_smaller.png (772.56 KiB) Viewed 1837 times

I ended up taking the long way round, but at least I didn't have to bring an adapter ;-)

20220330_114232_small.png
20220330_114232_small.png (1.23 MiB) Viewed 1827 times

Return to “Keyboards”