Cherry G80-3000 - Missing "classic" bumps on the F, J and 5 keys

jiri

30 Apr 2023, 14:14

Hello,

please allow me to ask for your help.

I bought a new Cherry G80-3000 Cherry keyboard https://www.cherry-world.com/g80-3000 in G80-3000LSCEU-2 (MX Blue, EU layout, black)

I am very excited about this keyboard - I especially like the feel when typing. However, I don't like that the F and J keys don't have "classic" tactile bumps. Instead of the classic tactile bumps, the F and J keys have a slightly different shape - more of a recessed shape. Key 5 then has a raised tactile point in the central location. I can't get too used to this - especially the F and J keys.

Here photo (click to zoom):

At first I wanted to return the keyboard for the reasons stated, however after about a week of typing on the G80-3000 I have become "addicted" and cannot go back to the basic membrane keyboard. I only use the keyboard for typing and other standard PC activities. I do not use the keyboard for gaming.

Can I please buy the same keycaps for F, J and 5 with standard tactile bumps somewhere? I would use the new keycaps to replace the existing keycaps for the F, J and 5 keys.

Any advice and recommendations are welcome.

Thank you

ntv242ver2

30 Apr 2023, 15:08

Oh you want the homing bars on f and j.

Yeah there are keycaps that would give you all kind of homing options. But color matching would be a bit tough

jiri

30 Apr 2023, 15:21

Thanks for the response. Colour or print is not important - could you please recommend a specific product with a link...

davkol

30 Apr 2023, 18:24

Scoops are the best though. :?

Cherry's thin keycaps (meh) have bars and so do (some?) GMK's and Chinese clones. I'm quite sure there's a wealth of information on this somewhere; I'd start with this old, somewhat dumb GH thread.

Findecanor

30 Apr 2023, 19:54

Among keycap sets out there, do beware that it is possible that they'll include a Caps Lock and Space Bar keycaps that don't fit the Cherry G80-3000, but do fit other brands's keyboards.

XVX "Cherry Profile" is white-on-black, supposedly double-shot PBT and Cherry Profile and in a very affordable price in comparison to what keycap sets can cost. It is an example that doesn't include a stepped Caps Lock key though and I can't find on the site if the space bar is compatible with the G80-3000. They do have more sets in "Cherry Profile" with other colours.
I've yet to see an extensive review and comparison with other keycaps.
Edit: The WoB set does not seem to have the exact same font as Cherry, but some of their other "Cherry profile" sets seem to.

BTW. If you'd get "EnjoyPBT" keycaps, then F and J have both scoops and homing bars. :P
Personally I never feel for the homing keys, and back when I started with mechanical keyboards, I didn't even notice that F and J on my first Cherry keyboard were scooped until someone told me.

Muirium
µ

30 Apr 2023, 22:23

Does doubleshot PBT really work now—is it doubleshot and how does it compare to doubleshot ABS?—or is it cynical marketing BS? “Reverse dyesubs” come to mind: hideous idea that ages as well as a glass of milk left out by the keyboard.

Delta Research

30 Apr 2023, 22:31

Muirium wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 22:23
Does doubleshot PBT really work now—is it doubleshot and how does it compare to doubleshot ABS?—or is it cynical marketing BS? “Reverse dyesubs” come to mind: hideous idea that ages as well as a glass of milk left out by the keyboard.
I think it's a blend of PBT and ABS, I haven't had much experience with them though.

jiri

30 Apr 2023, 22:35

Thanks so much for the reply and also the links to specific keycaps tips suitable for the G80-3000. As I can see, this is a very complex and interesting issue and not easy to navigate in a short time. However, this keyboard area is very interesting to me so I will study it.

As for Scoop vs. Bars, that's an interesting discussion - I had no idea there was such a thing :-) Well, I am new to mechanical keyboards and have a lot to learn.

Maybe I'll consider the matter and try typing with Scoops for a while and see, maybe I'll get used to it and keycaps with Bars won't be needed at all :-) We'll see.....

I would still have questions please about my G80-3000 see photo above :

- what material are the keycaps made of? Is it PBT? Can it be identified somehow from the manufacturing label?
- Is it possible to know from the code on the manufacturing label which year the keyboard was made?
- The keyboard has a cable with a USB connector to connect to a PC. Is there any point in using a PS/2 reducer and connecting to the PC using PS/2? I read somewhere on the internet that a PS/2 connection should be more suitable.

Thanks

Findecanor

30 Apr 2023, 22:56

jiri wrote:
- what material are the keycaps made of? Is it PBT? Can it be identified somehow from the manufacturing label?
They are made of POM, which is durable but has a bit low friction.
Cherry keyboards with L as the first letter after the number in the article number have keycaps that are Laser-etched, and the black laser-etched ones are made of POM.
wiki/Cherry_article_numbers
jiri wrote:
- Is it possible to know from the code on the manufacturing label which year the keyboard was made?
There's a Wiki article about that too: wiki/Cherry_date_codes
jiri wrote:
- The keyboard has a cable with a USB connector to connect to a PC. Is there any point in using a PS/2 reducer and connecting to the PC using PS/2? I read somewhere on the internet that a PS/2 connection should be more suitable.
There are some posters and web pages out there that claim that PS/2 would be inherently faster than USB, which would matter for competitive gaming. But that is nonsense.
Use PS/2 only if your PC has a PS/2 port and you need the USB ports for other things.

paperWasp

30 Apr 2023, 23:02

My Cherry G80-3000 S TKL has both - differently shaped F J + homing bars on them. They're slowly disappearing after more than 2 years of daily use. When my fingers can't find them, I'll stick something else on there. I'm a pig - so what?

jiri

01 May 2023, 10:35

paperWasp wrote:
When my fingers can't find them, I'll stick something else on there.?
For example? :D

Muirium
µ

01 May 2023, 12:36

Deep dishes are classier. Appreciate what you already have. I'd much rather have those than little plastic hardened snotters on my keyboards. ;)

jiri

01 May 2023, 14:52

Thanks for the opinion. I guess I'll leave it as it is, it takes some getting used to and maybe in the end I'll appreciate it and be glad I took your recommendation...

paperWasp

01 May 2023, 22:21

jiri wrote:
01 May 2023, 10:35
paperWasp wrote:
When my fingers can't find them, I'll stick something else on there.?
For example? :D
I had completely levelled homing bars on my last rubber dome keyboard (Microsoft Wired Keyboard 200). Some old stickers for labelling audio cassettes (those tiny square stickers with numbers and letters attached to the same place did the trick). Replacing them every couple of weeks was a little annoying, though.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

02 May 2023, 09:06

Muirium wrote:
01 May 2023, 12:36
Deep dishes are classier. Appreciate what you already have. I'd much rather have those than little plastic hardened snotters on my keyboards. ;)
I absolutely concur.

ntv242ver2

03 May 2023, 12:37

jiri wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 15:21
Thanks for the response. Colour or print is not important - could you please recommend a specific product with a link...
There are a tons of keycaps products now that would meet your need. I am absolutely not up to date with the current market so I dont feel confident that my recommendations would be the most sufficient to you (money to value wise).

However, if I may, I would suggest you to look for a few thing in your country:
- Amazon sells loads of keycaps now, I remember a set by HG or whatever the brand in 9009 colorway that was very popular choice (at least for UK folks) 1 to 2 years back as a cost effective one. Now when I search, i can't find them anymore, not because they are no longer available, but because there are just a tons more products. Have a search, maybe think about this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Akko-Keyboard- ... r_1_8?th=1

Akko is a certified brand.

- Search your local community, whether it be discord or reddit, they might have something to offer. Dont worry about buying used keycaps, majority of them are still in very good condition.

- Ebay is another option that I would love to explore, for cheap deals (and the thrills).

- Mechanical keyboards vendors, tons of them around EU in general, and they surely have something in stock.

Best of luck

Return to “Keyboards”