Wanting to go topre, can't decide which keyboard

E-Peen

12 Jul 2012, 09:24

Hello everyone :)

I've been wanting to go topre switches for some time now, but I'm having a bit of a tough time deciding whether I should go for the Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2, or the Realforce 87U Tenkeyless 55g. I know in the end, it really comes down to personal preference, but I thought I'd come to you guys for some extra info I'm not aware of, etc.

So far, I really like the HHKB. It's really small, but the layout looks a tad confusing compared to your traditional layout. The only thing that looks like I'd have a bit of trouble with is the backspace key and its size compared to the regular / more traditional backspace key. I have a feeling that would drive me crazy for awhile.

Also, although it may seem small, the USB ports on the HHKB are a really nice touch for me. Sure, I could just go and get a hub if I chose another keyboard, but I find it really convenient to be on the keyboard itself.

What do you guys think as far as topre keyboards go?

fossala
Elite +1

12 Jul 2012, 09:28

Because the USB ports are not powered you can't use them for much. No usb sticks or card readers. But other than that the HHKB is a great keyboard.

JBert

12 Jul 2012, 10:17

If you are in doubt, state your query to The Keyboard Oracle.

isp

12 Jul 2012, 10:49

Since you're only focused on two keyboards, why not buy them both so you can find out which you really prefer...

If you don't you'll always wonder about that other keyboard everytime you read about it/see it.

E-Peen

12 Jul 2012, 12:19

isp wrote:Since you're only focused on two keyboards, why not buy them both so you can find out which you really prefer...

If you don't you'll always wonder about that other keyboard everytime you read about it/see it.
I'd love to do that, do you know any banks that would be okay with me stealing some money? 8-)

kalrykh

12 Jul 2012, 12:52

I'd start with a realforce. Cheaper, no new layout to learn, sturdy as hell construction.

E-Peen

12 Jul 2012, 14:40

Thanks for the posts so far, guys! :)

fossala
Elite +1

12 Jul 2012, 14:41

I would get a HHKB, there awesome.

Topre Enthusiast

12 Jul 2012, 15:41

As I sit here typing on my newly acquired HHKB Type-S JIS, I can't help but long for my Realforces.
The HHKB is nice and the layout doesn't bother me at all, but the switches definitely feel different to me compared to the Realforce. It's as if there is more friction in the HHKB and I'm not sure if it's because of the plate mounting used on the Realforce that gives it a different feel.

RC-1140

12 Jul 2012, 15:43

Hey 002,
is this difference big, or is it toleratable? One of the reasons of me being part of the Realforce Euro Tour is that I want to know if a JIS HHKB would be good for me or not.

Topre Enthusiast

12 Jul 2012, 15:47

The difference is certainly tolerable...for me at least, and I consider myself to be pretty anal about such things.
The HHKB is a great board, don't get me wrong. If you like the 104, there's a very good chance that you will appreciate the HHKB. I think that if you are buying an HHKB though, it should be primarily for the layout and compact form factor. The Topre switches are just a bonus :)

E-Peen

12 Jul 2012, 15:51

Thanks for the post, 002!

I'm brand new to topre switches, so forgive my possible stupidity, but I have also noticed the HHKB sounds a bit different as well compared to the Realforce. I don't know if this is just placebo mixed in with recording equipment in the YouTube reviews, but that's just what I have personally noticed. And with this notice, the HHKB sounds a bit clickier to me, which I like.

I'm leaning towards a HHKB.

About the USB info earlier, what does the USB ports aren't powered mean?

JBert

12 Jul 2012, 16:10

E-Peen wrote:About the USB info earlier, what does the USB ports aren't powered mean?
The HHKB has an USB HUB, but obviously there's no extra power supply plugged into the keyboard. This means that any devices you plug into the HUB will also draw power through the cable connecting the keyboard with the PC, and eventually from one of the PC's USB ports.

If there's too much power consumption on a single USB port of the PC, that port gets switched off. This effectively means you can't plug in portable hard-disks or floppy drives, but a device with an external power block or low-power devices like a USB stick might work.

isp

12 Jul 2012, 22:08

002 wrote:I think that if you are buying an HHKB though, it should be primarily for the layout and compact form factor. The Topre switches are just a bonus :)
This is good advice.

4en

13 Jul 2012, 00:38

can anyone answer how quiet the hhkb is compared to cherry nonclick switches? factoring in 100% bottoming out of all keys?

didja

13 Jul 2012, 00:43

Look closely at the lack of dedicated arrow keys as well as the backspace/delete key situation which is why some like me can't use it and why some love it.
Try running an AHK script to simulate the HHKB layout before popping for a real one.

For me it's Realforce 87 or 103 if you need a numpad all the way.

Topre Enthusiast

13 Jul 2012, 00:59

4en wrote:can anyone answer how quiet the hhkb is compared to cherry nonclick switches? factoring in 100% bottoming out of all keys?
HHKB is quieter for sure. Two of the guys in my workplace are using Cherry based boards within 10 meters of me (one a Filco with Reds, and another a Leopold with Browns). When they're both smashing away I think they definitely have the loudest boards in the room. They're both bottoming out for sure. They've commented that the only thing they can here from me is when I hit the spacebar (using a Realforce 87).

4en

13 Jul 2012, 02:12

i would buy the hhkb but i do not want to stray away from the standard layout...

thegunner100

13 Jul 2012, 02:20

Read this thread for some more opinions.

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/hhk ... t3244.html

hasu

13 Jul 2012, 07:27

isp wrote:
002 wrote:I think that if you are buying an HHKB though, it should be primarily for the layout and compact form factor. The Topre switches are just a bonus :)
This is good advice.
Indeed, Insightful. I can believe this Topre enthu.

Topre switch never be essence of HHKB. The philosophy is all about the keyboard. The layout is just a instance of it. Yes, A zealot here :)

I think Realforce has better switches too, but it never be a problem for happy users of HHKB.
They are people who sure about its layout and can't live without it even for a day.
I'm taking about genuine layout not JP version, I don't know about it at all.

If you are not sure about the layout Realforce is safer way and you will get what you expected.
Buying HHKB is risky but you might be able to get sweeter fruits from its layout and compactness.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

13 Jul 2012, 07:30

hasu wrote:
isp wrote:
This is good advice.
Indeed, Insightful. I can believe this Topre enthu.

Topre switch never be essence of HHKB. The philosophy is all about the keyboard. The layout is just a instance of it. Yes, A zealot here :)

I think Realforce has better switches too, but it never be a problem for happy users of HHKB.
They are people who sure about its layout and can't live without it even for a day.
I'm taking about genuine layout not JP version, I don't know about it at all.

If you are not sure about the layout Realforce is safer way and you will get what you expected.
Buying HHKB is risky but you might be able to get sweeter fruits from its layout and compactness.
mmmm, fujitsu fruits. sweet, sweet fujitsu fruits.

longweight
key-bored

13 Jul 2012, 08:00

4en wrote:i would buy the hhkb but i do not want to stray away from the standard layout...
Why? It's awesome!

E-Peen

13 Jul 2012, 10:33

Great forum here. I was a bit nervous coming here and asking as I figured it has been asked many a time and I'd be shoo'd away, etc... but you guys have been more than enough help, so thank you!

I have decided I will be pulling the trigger on the Happy Hacking Professional 2 (White/Gray) version (tired of black peripherals). Also, The Keyboard Oracle recommended it as well, how can I say no to that?

I am not ordering right away, so I have some time to collect some extra info, opinions, etc. It's quite the cost, so just a bit longer.

In the mean time, is there any place aside from Elite Keyboards where I could purchase a HHKB 2 Pro? $300 is manageable, but if I could get it cheaper than that, even for $275, that would be solid.

fossala
Elite +1

13 Jul 2012, 10:36

They go for around $275 second hand. But you will have to wait. I think for the extra $25 you might as well get it new.

longweight
key-bored

13 Jul 2012, 10:59

They get snapped up when they are for sale on here, just get it new from EK, $25 isn't much :)

E-Peen

13 Jul 2012, 12:49

True that, guys :)

ajdane

14 Jul 2012, 01:30

I just got a HHKB pro 2 today (thanks you know who :D) and i have to say that i really like it. Not only the topre switches wich feel and sound awesome (to me at least). But also the layout, im still making plenty of mistakes (used to a danish iso layout), but ANSI is already feels good for coding.
The embedded keys are also awesome, Not having to move your hands away from the home row when using arrow keys or home \ end is frankly amazing.

\edit i just have to add i can barely stop typing at the moment just to hear the keyboard.... i think i have been bit rather bad by the keyboard bug here hehe.

Return to “Keyboards”