Keycap cherry MX stepped capslock

Mikey

28 Aug 2012, 23:25

Anyone know where i can purchase a capslock stepped key for cherry mx's?

Been searching all over and am unable to find a source.

Thanks ;p

trax

28 Aug 2012, 23:29

In the market section.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

29 Aug 2012, 00:21

As trax says, please post in the marketplace section (using "Wanted" as a prefix).
By the way, it would be a good idea to specify colour and language/symlbol of the keycap you need
as there are quite different ones.
And please contribute to posting economy.

Welcome at DT :D

damorgue

29 Aug 2012, 06:01

Not only colour, but center-stemmed or off-center would be good to know. If you look under the cap, is the stem in the middle or to the left?

Mikey

29 Aug 2012, 08:49

White on black, center stemmed.

csimi

29 Aug 2012, 10:10

Wouldn't it be possible to make an adapter to fit off-center stemmed caps on center stemmed keyboards?
I compared the two and it seemed like there'd be place for an adapter, though it'd have to be small and from a very strong material.
One end would be like a cherry switch, the other like a keycap.
This would be much better than hunting for specific colors of keycaps. I'm sure there'd be interest in it if it would be possible to manufacture.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

29 Aug 2012, 10:53

damorgue

29 Aug 2012, 12:04

csimi wrote:Wouldn't it be possible to make an adapter to fit off-center stemmed caps on center stemmed keyboards?
I compared the two and it seemed like there'd be place for an adapter, though it'd have to be small and from a very strong material.
One end would be like a cherry switch, the other like a keycap.
This would be much better than hunting for specific colors of keycaps. I'm sure there'd be interest in it if it would be possible to manufacture.
Interesting idea, I never thought of that. I'll try and make something to see how it would look.

damorgue

29 Aug 2012, 12:14

Did you mean something like this?

Judging by the looks, it will be weak in the thin part in between the stem and the stem fitting.

csimi

29 Aug 2012, 12:26

Something like that but a lot more complicated since the piece connecting the two parts together would block the switch from going down this way.
This probably increases the price a lot and you'd need some really strong material for it but I think being able to use all kinds of different caps locks (imsto dyesubbed stepped off-center stemmed for example) would be worth quite a few bucks.

damorgue

29 Aug 2012, 12:43

Turns out that one was very weak anyway, even with some ribs to strengthen it.
We would want to avoid it deforming or flexing since that would mush up the feel.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

29 Aug 2012, 12:43

Nope, there is absolutely no room for that because the positions of a centered stem and an off-center differ by only ±5mm while the switch has a width of >10mm.
So the original stem must be removed as it will hit the top of the switch.

damorgue

29 Aug 2012, 12:45

It seems that way. I made a new one which allows the stem fitting to go into the switch housing (the previous one did not which was kind of stupid) Anyway, they are too close

kbdfr
The Tiproman

29 Aug 2012, 12:51

CapsLock, center vs.jpg
CapsLock, center vs.jpg (167.26 KiB) Viewed 41631 times
You could could of course leave a bit of the original stem, but that wouldn't be enough to allow such a device to be affixed to it.
Last edited by kbdfr on 29 Aug 2012, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.

damorgue

29 Aug 2012, 12:55

This is about as close as they can get while still allowing the stem fitting to enter the switch housing as well as allow the fitting of the cap to not interfere with the bridge. kbdfr is right, they can't be made close enough.
Last edited by damorgue on 29 Aug 2012, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

29 Aug 2012, 12:57

damorgue wrote:[…] kbfr is right, […[/img]
Who is kbfr? :mrgreen:

damorgue

29 Aug 2012, 13:07

Happy?

Well, I guess adapters could be used where the difference is larger, say space bars, but the interest there is too low to do anything about it.

csimi

29 Aug 2012, 13:16

Maybe the connection can be routed at the side? There seems to be more space there.
It'd have to be made from some sort of NASA grade material though.

damorgue

29 Aug 2012, 13:25

Nope, I thought of that, but the stem itself interferes with the switch housing, even without an adapter. As pointed out by kbdfr, the distance it needs to be moved is so small that it really isn't possible without modifying/removing either the stem fitting or the switch housing since those two will clash otherwise.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

29 Aug 2012, 14:12

The easy way:

Description here.

csimi

29 Aug 2012, 14:41

kbdfr wrote:The easy way:
Looks painful.

Ekaros

29 Aug 2012, 15:21

Only real solution I see is to make universal one. Whith places to lock the stem in, so no adaptors :(

Spharx

29 Aug 2012, 15:49

My untested idea: pierce a thin metal bar through the steam top and adjust the desired position of the steam. Before that the metal bar has to be cooled down to shrink tight in order to fit into the cap. After it reaches room temperature again it should widen itself into the walls of the cap.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

29 Aug 2012, 16:55

Not sure whether you mean an horizontal bar anlong which the stem could slide
or a vertical bar driven through the stem and into the keycap roof.

Both will hardly be possible without expert tools
because you will have to drill a blind hole (without piercing through!) into the keycap from the inside
(and this will even have to be made at an angle in the case of the horizontal bar).

Besides, cooling will hardly have any perceptible shrinking effect given the diameter of the metal bar.

Spharx

29 Aug 2012, 17:36

I meant a horizontal bar on which the stem could be adjusted in angle and horizontal position.
As I looked up the iron shrinkage rates I came to the conclusion that my idea truly has some flaws. :lol:

ITX-Fan

17 Sep 2023, 11:22

damorgue wrote:
29 Aug 2012, 12:14
Did you mean something like this?

Judging by the looks, it will be weak in the thin part in between the stem and the stem fitting.
I know I'm digging out a very old thread, mind sharing the file for this?

Muirium
µ

17 Sep 2023, 21:38

USER STATISTICS
Last active:
2019-Jul-29, 11:15
Doesn’t seem likely.

If you have access to a printer, you should be able to throw a few guesses at it and trial and error your way to where you want to be.

Return to “Keyboards”