IBM part numbers

Myoth

IBM part numbers

Unread post by Myoth » 03 Mar 2018, 12:04

While I was watching what happened to the wiki recently I saw what Daniel and tactica had made to the [wiki]IBM_part_numbers[/wiki] and I think that since this is such a huge topic it needed it's own thread.

I have a few questions first :

-how did you find the 1386853 and such obscure layouts ? did you just assume their part number by looking at the part number scheme of other keyboards ?

-do you guys plan to add the Japanese section of IBM ? the JX, Multistation and such. I can help you with that if you want ?

Myoth

Unread post by Myoth » 03 Mar 2018, 12:15

added the 6111082, 2683215 and 1386965.

Myoth

Unread post by Myoth » 03 Mar 2018, 20:47

1. It would be nice to know who does this belong to, as I don't think we have a SSK with the french layout in the pn list other than the Indies.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mr_mayhem/7406647092/

2. There is also this thing here with a lot of mistery around it :

wiki/IBM_Model_F#IBM_4980_Keyboard

I wonder badly what's its part number. You guys might know ?

tactica

Unread post by tactica » 04 Mar 2018, 02:51

Myoth wrote: -how did you find the 1386853 and such obscure layouts ? did you just assume their part number by looking at the part number scheme of other keyboards ?
No assumption, that one and many others were found by checking official documentation from IBM. Take a look at the references. Documentation with lists of P/Ns are precious, a (complete) list of 4704 keyboards for example would be virtually impossible without that.

If you are going to contribute to this page, please use references in your entries whenever possible. That alone won't make the information correct, but it allows the reader to know that it isn't made up at least.

Also, a proper change log in your edits wouldn't hurt. This is best practices for every wiki editor anyway.
-do you guys plan to add the Japanese section of IBM ? the JX, Multistation and such. I can help you with that if you want ?
Please be my guest :D
It would be nice to know who does this belong to, as I don't think we have a SSK with the french layout in the pn list other than the Indies.
Lexmark branded keyboards do not belong into a list of IBM P/Ns however. That should go somewhere else.

Myoth

Unread post by Myoth » 04 Mar 2018, 20:25

tactica wrote: No assumption, that one and many others were found by checking official documentation from IBM. Take a look at the references. Documentation with lists of P/Ns are precious, a (complete) list of 4704 keyboards for example would be virtually impossible without that.
yeah I figured after I posted, I search more in the references and eventually found some lists of pns you used.
tactica wrote: If you are going to contribute to this page, please use references in your entries whenever possible. That alone won't make the information correct, but it allows the reader to know that it isn't made up at least.
Also, a proper change log in your edits wouldn't hurt. This is best practices for every wiki editor anyway.
Yes, I shall do so.
tactica wrote: Please be my guest :D
Cool, I'll start sometime soon then.
tactica wrote: Lexmark branded keyboards do not belong into a list of IBM P/Ns however. That should go somewhere else.
oh okay, so we're not counting Dell branded Ms, nor Ambras etc too ?

tactica

Unread post by tactica » 04 Mar 2018, 22:45

Myoth wrote: oh okay, so we're not counting Dell branded Ms, nor Ambras etc too ?
Right. All those should go in a separate article, the one about IBM P/Ns alone is becoming quite large without clones.

j0d1

Unread post by j0d1 » 04 Mar 2018, 23:04

I hope to contribute to that list one day but for now, I just want to say that this wiki page is VERY helpful so thank you a lot for making it. It's one of the few wiki pages that I have bookmarked and I consult it whenever I encounter an IBM keyboard in the wild. Cheers!

Daniel Beardsmore

Unread post by Daniel Beardsmore » 04 Mar 2018, 23:46

It's at the point where a GUI table editor might be more practical :P

Myoth

Unread post by Myoth » 04 Mar 2018, 23:57

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Vintage-New-IBM ... 1438.l2649

this confirms the 1392366 is Buckling Spring doesn't it ?

tactica

Unread post by tactica » 05 Mar 2018, 00:35

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: It's at the point where a GUI table editor might be more practical :P
FYI, there is a Visual Editor for MediaWiki. How well it manages tables, I have no idea - I quit the editor immediately whenever Wikipedia launches it for me.
Myoth wrote: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Vintage-New-IBM ... 1438.l2649

this confirms the 1392366 is Buckling Spring doesn't it ?
Not any more than wiki/IBM_Enhanced_Keyboard#1392366 does, but whoever wrote that part sounds like he knew what he was talking about so I suppose it is OK to assume it's a BS keyboard :)

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”