Stuff you just bought

hansichen

09 Dec 2017, 11:52

The commodore looks like an accident buy :D I didn't know that people collect these ones too

Slom

09 Dec 2017, 12:13

hansichen wrote: The commodore looks like an accident buy :D
Isn't that how this whole forum look to outsiders :lol: :lol: :lol:
hansichen wrote: I didn't know that people collect these ones too
I wanted to try the switch, and of the two keyboards with that switch that I want to have, this is by far the cheaper and more obtainable one :D

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

09 Dec 2017, 12:50

Slom wrote: Fixed a few holes in my collection :)

snip

Amost done now, I think ...
ah, so you are the one that grabbed the AKB off of ebay. Price was a bit high for my taste, but nice.

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

09 Dec 2017, 13:02

Slom wrote: Amost done now, I think ...
ENDGAME  IS  A  LIE

Menuhin

09 Dec 2017, 15:05

DustGod wrote:
ENDGAME  IS  A  LIE
It's not a lie, but a hopeful but unrealistic wish.
But with a more practical approach, one can end the game easily, e.g. by ending one's life or chopping off one's both hands - there will be no sense anymore for keystroke, and there will be no need for anymore keyboard.

pansku
Member of the Beam Spring cult

09 Dec 2017, 15:36

Spoiler:
IMG_0741.JPG
The one on the top looks so nice! What is it called and does it have a page in the wiki?

Slom

09 Dec 2017, 16:13

pansku wrote:
Spoiler:
IMG_0741.JPG
The one on the top looks so nice! What is it called and does it have a page in the wiki?
wiki/Alps_AKB-3420

Slom

09 Dec 2017, 16:18

Menuhin wrote:
DustGod wrote:
ENDGAME  IS  A  LIE
It's not a lie, but a hopeful but unrealistic wish.
But with a more practical approach, one can end the game easily, e.g. by ending one's life or chopping off one's both hands - there will be no sense anymore for keystroke, and there will be no need for anymore keyboard.
Stopping is easy: Advance into mechanical watches, or mechanical cars :D
Spoiler:
Mechanical cars are not a thing yet? Better start collecting now!

snuci
Vintage computer guy

09 Dec 2017, 16:50

Slom wrote:
pansku wrote: The one on the top looks so nice! What is it called and does it have a page in the wiki?
wiki/Alps_AKB-3420
Congrats on the AKB-3420! I wonder if the original Alps painted logo is underneath that JEOL sticker?

Scarpia

10 Dec 2017, 12:44

I know endgame is a mirage, but I just ordered the Topre board I have been coveting since the first time I held a 45g Topre switch between my fingers. It's the Leopold FC660C in the white&gray color scheme. It's my first Topre board and it's pretty much the last off-the-shelf keyboard type I really wanted:

IBM Model M (SSK, 122, and regular ISO DK), IBM Model F (XT and F77 when Ellipse ships), Alps SKCM Brown (custom built 60 and a bag of clean browns just waiting for a project), SGI Bigfoot Granite, HHKB Lite rubberdome, RoyalKludge TKL with Cherry MX stem "Nopre" switches, and now finally a Topre 45g (FC660C).

The only "maybe-just-one-more" boards left for me would be an XMIT Hall Effect TKL and a Kailh clicky low profile TKL like the Havit HV-KB390L.

Laser
emacs -nw

10 Dec 2017, 13:28

I guess you are now eyeing Hasu's Alternative FC660C Controller ? :)

derzemel

11 Dec 2017, 12:23

Not keyboard, or tech related, but...
I have put my keyboard (and any other) acquisitions on hold to get her "the ring" (with emeralds) :D ... best buy until now, even though, being gift season, I will be 100% broke by 25 dec, but it was sooo worth it. She said YES, btw :D

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bceup2JALD1 ... natootescu

So, yeah... still having anxiety a few days later :lol:

snuci
Vintage computer guy

11 Dec 2017, 12:34

derzemel wrote: . She said YES, btw :D
Congratulations!

Phenix
-p

11 Dec 2017, 15:28

just got myself a pair of Shure SE215 headphones as I lost my previous E10 ones.. Lets see if I like the Shure better :)

cookie

11 Dec 2017, 15:47

Phenix wrote: just got myself a pair of Shure SE215 headphones as I lost my previous E10 ones.. Lets see if I like the Shure better :)
Mhmm Shure has some good stuff!

depletedvespene

11 Dec 2017, 18:15

derzemel wrote: She said YES, btw :D
Congratulations!

Phenix
-p

11 Dec 2017, 18:24

cookie wrote:
Phenix wrote: just got myself a pair of Shure SE215 headphones as I lost my previous E10 ones.. Lets see if I like the Shure better :)
Mhmm Shure has some good stuff!
Who else is into hifi? Any audiophiles over here?
If so: why don't we have a own thread!?
:evilgeek:

derzemel

11 Dec 2017, 21:34

snuci wrote: Congratulations!
depletedvespene wrote: Congratulations!
Thank you very much!

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

12 Dec 2017, 21:49

Got an F122, finally! A 6110344:

(I should really REALLY upgrade my camera.)

Apart from some physiological light scratches and four non-original caps (PF22, PF24, O and bottom right key on the extra cluster) the board is in perfect conditions. I'll replace the caps with an italian M122 set. The question is: should I replace the function keycaps or keep an incomplete set but with awesome sublegends?
Spoiler:

depletedvespene

12 Dec 2017, 22:04

Congratulations! Enjoy your F122 for the decades to come.

As per the missing function keys, use those spots for custom-printed caps. :-)

depletedvespene

12 Dec 2017, 22:05

You could also buy unprinted caps from Unicomp and go nuts with a Staedtler permanent marker. :mrgreen:

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

12 Dec 2017, 22:06

depletedvespene wrote: Congratulations! Enjoy your F122 for the decades to come.

As per the missing function keys, use those spots for custom-printed caps. :-)
Thank you! :D Now that you make me think of it, the PF24 spot would be perfect for a "PANIC" key...

Halvar

12 Dec 2017, 22:14

Congrats! A very satisfying keyboard if you have the desk space.

I'm using the upper function keys as media keys on mine. You can get keycaps for that from Unicomp.

http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/MEDIA

andrewjoy

13 Dec 2017, 10:34

Whist the printing is nowhere near as good as IBM , unicomp should do PF legends, and hey you may get lucky and get one that has been in storage for years from back when they could print decently.

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

13 Dec 2017, 13:42

I really like to mix and match BS keycaps between boards (and typewriters), but I also like to have the complete original sets. I'll try to ask Unicomp. At the very least I'll have replacements, albeit of a far lesser quality. Media keys and personalized legends will be the "working configuration" of the board; I will also add an APL set at some point.

(I'd really wish to find an original one, but... Yeah. Impossible.)

(Also, Unicomp really needs to step up its game.)

pansku
Member of the Beam Spring cult

15 Dec 2017, 20:19

When the moment arises one should not hesitate. I just bought a HHKB Pro 2 :D

Got it for a decent price and not to mention how rarely these come in sale in Finland. Hopefully I shall have it by christmas eve :) I might have spoiled myself this year as I also bought 1/4" Stahlwille ratchet set earlier in December :oops:

depletedvespene

16 Dec 2017, 00:28

Sometimes, a man must look at himself into the mirror and ask: "How many F battleships are too many F battleships?".

I don't know the actual answer to that question, but I do know that it is neither "One." nor "Two.".
Brothers in arms. In keys, whatever.
Brothers in arms. In keys, whatever.
IMG_6249_th.jpg (905.13 KiB) Viewed 5241 times
Top F122 is the one I bought off XMIT a few months ago and currently serves as my daily driver (which I haven't bothered to clean because I am a lazy slob). Bottom F122 is one I bought off eBay on an inexcusable whim — a whim that has, however, paid off. This keyboard is in fantastic condition.

But, hey, I got two computers here (not counting my kid's battlestation), so I needed two battleships, amirite?

Now, if I could score two Unsavers...

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

16 Dec 2017, 00:57

depletedvespene wrote: Now, if I could score two Unsavers...
If you could do that you would have to give me one! :P

depletedvespene

16 Dec 2017, 01:05

Now, if I could score three Unsavers...

mecano

17 Dec 2017, 23:39

depletedvespene wrote: so I needed two battleships, amirite?
Go get a kvm before it gets out of hands!

Return to “News”