Falco F5000/Infinity Keyboard with Zeal Clickiez Switches

hellothere

08 Oct 2022, 21:29

TL;DR on the keyboard:
Excellent construction. Odd keywork, but that's to be expected. Shame it doesn't have double-shot key caps.

TL;DR on the Clickiez:
Not particularly happy with them, but I'll test them for a while. They feel a lot like a stiffer Omron B3G-S. They kinda sound like your keyboard has a beeper.

============
Spoiler:
s-l1600 - Copy (3).jpg
s-l1600 - Copy (3).jpg (242.35 KiB) Viewed 4504 times
It looks a bit lighter in person.
This is a new, old stock keyboard. The vintage Cherry MX black switches were removed by the seller and replaced with Clickiez. As I've wanted to try Clickiez, this was definitely the keyboard pick for me, as the total cost of the keyboard was lower than the cost of buying 107 (or so; I haven't counted how many keys this keyboard has) Clickiez switches.

I haven't cracked open the keyboard, but the case has no identifying marks at all, not even a serial number. The original cardboard box says that this keyboard is "For use with" the Infinity S, F5000, and Infinity G which are Falco terminal models. (There are some small pics of the Infinity here. You're not missing much if you don't click. Imagine a CRT on top of a pizza box.)

The keyboard cable is your standard 5-pin DIN. The keyboard came with a Soarer's converter that was made by either orihalcon or Tinkerboy. The box has "Enhanced AT" printed on it.

I used to own a Wyse WY50. The Falco feels a lot like it. There's no flex at all, which is great. I'd assume that there's a thick metal key switch mounting plate in it, just like a WY50 keyboard. The Falco is wider than the WYSE, as it has the dedicated nav cluster between the main alphanumeric block and the num pad, so it probably weighs a bit more

The keyboard has one long flip-down foot, which is also similar to what the WY50 has, but not quite as long or as tall. I think it only raises the back by maybe 1" at most.

The key caps are OEM profile, I think, and are almost definitely single-shot. That's a departure from the WY50, as that has beautiful double-shots from Signature Plastics. Well, I do have a couple nice Tai-Hao sets around...

As it's a terminal keyboard, it has odd keys and odd-size keys here and there. I don't like the small CTRL key next to the Caps Lock key, nor the ESC key next to the Tab key. 21 function keys and 4 PF keys is kinda cool, though.

As I don't really know how to type, much less type with "incorrect" legends on the keys, if I keep the keyboard, I'll swap in some new key caps and program some keys.

======

Well, let's talk about the switches. The ones swapped into this keyboard are the 40g version and they haven't been lubed or otherwise modded. So ... they click.

I really can't make an in-depth opinion, yet. The keyboard is too new. They feel like a stiffer version of the amber Omron B3G-S switches, but the Omrons are much smoother. The Clickiez also feel a bit like they're binding on each key press. That's probably due to the ginormous tactility, but I'm not sure if I like it.

I've owned a couple keyboards with beepers and the Clickiez sound a lot like you're using a beeper. It's different and not unpleasant. The 9-ish U space bar sounds properly bass-y, which I appreciate.

Muirium
µ

09 Oct 2022, 19:42

108 keys. Far from the worst layout: it’s basically ISO with a few missing mods and an extra row on the left. The big space bar would bother me more than most of it.

Are those tasty Helvetica caps dyesub? NMB did nice PBT dyesubs with big PBT spacebars once upon a time as well, as well as IBM.

All in all it looks as handsome as you say it sounds. Just a pity about those impractical one-trick stunt-cock modern switches. ;)

hellothere

14 Oct 2022, 04:06

I suppose they could be dye-sub PBT, but they're really thin.

I'll try to put up a pic in a bit, but I've swapped out the two banks of blank keys, the navigation cluster, and num pad (except for the - and ') with Tai-Hao blue double-shots. I plan to have some fun with a Soarer's converter and do some re-mapping.

The keyboard has grown on me a bit. I also pulled out my Kailh Box Jade keyboard to compare. They're significantly different in feel and sound.

Return to “Reviews”