Great/Interesting Finds

Chyros

03 Jan 2018, 11:50

seebart wrote:
Chyros wrote: That uses MEI switches iirc. From what I've heard those are extremely awful.
True. Supposedly there is also a version with Cherry ML.

wiki/Datalux_SpaceSaver
Ugh. Another delightful switch.

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

03 Jan 2018, 11:57

xxhellfirexx wrote: Just how rare are beam springs? They seem to pop up more often than kishsavers.
5251s, 3278s. 3101s and Displaywriters are all way more common than Kishsavers, to name a few.
Of course, other stuff like the Beamship or the Beamdesk is a different story.

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

03 Jan 2018, 11:57

Double post

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

03 Jan 2018, 15:19

Chyros wrote:
seebart wrote:
Chyros wrote: That uses MEI switches iirc. From what I've heard those are extremely awful.
True. Supposedly there is also a version with Cherry ML.

wiki/Datalux_SpaceSaver
Ugh. Another delightful switch.
No way near as horrible as MEI.
xxhellfirexx wrote:
alh84001 wrote:
seebart wrote: The 3101 is one of the nicer Beams but $1200 is just silly unless it's NIB'ish.
RIP my chances to get a Displaywriter.

This is not great, but certainly interesting
https://www.ebay.com/itm/122893570176/?autorefresh=true
At first I thought it was a great compact layout, but upon seeing the other pictures nope.... Also that enter key is quite tall.
The layout choices amongst Beamsprings aren't great anyway.

codemonkeymike

03 Jan 2018, 15:38

Are there any switches that are halfway decent that are pin compatible with Cherry ML?

FXT
XT

03 Jan 2018, 16:10

seebart wrote: The layout choices amongst Beamsprings aren't great anyway.
That's what I've been telling myself. Beam spring boards are a novelty that you can't really use on a daily basis. I don't need one. My wallet doesn't need to go through this.

seebart

03 Jan 2018, 16:23

FXT wrote:
That's what I've been telling myself. Beam spring boards are a novelty that you can't really use on a daily basis.
There is some truth to that with many if not most vintage keyboards with their unsual layouts. A lot of people are able to adapt their layout to a certain degree and then there is of course hard and soft key-modding. Hasu's TMK is a great example on the Apple M0110 which I used recently, TMK offers many options but the tiny M0110 is just limited by it's physical layout.

wiki/Apple_M0110

codemonkeymike

03 Jan 2018, 16:44

FXT wrote:
That's what I've been telling myself. Beam spring boards are a novelty that you can't really use on a daily basis. I don't need one. My wallet doesn't need to go through this.
I would agree, it's a novelty. I pull mine out as a bit of a party trick (before I started the restoration which is currently on going). And there aint no way in hell that this board was worth $1200 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM-Be ... 7675.l2557)

*ducks thrown beamspring boards coming at my head*

pansku
Member of the Beam Spring cult

03 Jan 2018, 16:57

The layout on 5251 isn't too bad IMHO. It's pretty much an XT-layout with 2 missing buttons which is pretty good for me. I actually found it easier to use than an F XT in daily use because of the deep dishing on the F and J keys where as the F XT doesn't have any tactile indication of where you put your fingers. If only the Alt and Alt Gr would be slightly more to the center so I could use them with thumbs :? And the height, oh the height. I cant put my electric desk low enough to use beam spring while sitting because of the stupid design decision in this already too small ~25m² apartment. Standing is good for your back anyways so I don't mind too much.

FXT
XT

03 Jan 2018, 17:00

To be completely honest I don't think the layout is what would bother me on a Beamspring board as much as the height. I think the feet on my XT raise it up too high so I don't bother with them. I don't think I could really deal with the height on a Beamspring board on a daily basis. Still really want one though.

seebart

03 Jan 2018, 17:07

pansku wrote:
The layout on 5251 isn't too bad IMHO. It's pretty much an XT-layout with 2 missing buttons which is pretty good for me. I actually found it easier to use than an F XT in daily use because of the deep dishing on the F and J keys where as the F XT doesn't have any tactile indication of where you put your fingers. If only the Alt and Alt Gr would be slightly more to the center so I could use them with thumbs :? And the height, oh the height. I cant put my electric desk low enough to use beam spring while sitting because of the stupid design decision in this already too small ~25m² apartment. Standing is good for your back anyways so I don't mind too much.
Agreed, there's way more obscure stuff out there.
FXT wrote: To be completely honest I don't think the layout is what would bother me on a Beamspring board as much as the height. I don't really consider the XT layout to be too weird as I use one every day. I don't need one but I really want one.
I like the height, although it takes some adapting when coming from something modern. We had a Beamspring Displaywriter here a while ago with a fixed wrist rest that almost looked like it came from IBM that way:

photos-f62/ibm-displaywriter-wrist-wrest-t13935.html
cIQpHVP.jpg
cIQpHVP.jpg (941.56 KiB) Viewed 4720 times

Chyros

03 Jan 2018, 17:21

pansku wrote:
I'd say the 5251 layout is definitely better than the XT's. It's honestly not bad.

alh84001
v.001

03 Jan 2018, 17:57

DustGod wrote: 3278s are way more common than Kishsavers
I wouldn't say 3278s are way more common than kishies (especially some variants), if at all. Because of that batch two years ago, kishies are not the rarest of boards (still veeeery rare by all accounts), the trouble is no one wants to get rid of them :)

jerue

03 Jan 2018, 18:22

Cool Model M with Hebrew caps, $1200...one zero too many imo but you can make an offer :)

JP!

03 Jan 2018, 18:25

seebart wrote:
I like the height, although it takes some adapting when coming from something modern. We had a Beamspring Displaywriter here a while ago with a fixed wrist rest that almost looked like it came from IBM that way:

photos-f62/ibm-displaywriter-wrist-wrest-t13935.html
cIQpHVP.jpg
Now that is a handy wrist rest.

seebart

03 Jan 2018, 18:32

JP! wrote: Now that is a handy wrist rest.
If only all of those Displaywriters had that pre-installed. :roll:

JP!

03 Jan 2018, 19:28

Another 5251 beamer. It's an absolute steal if you ask me :roll:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM-52 ... Ciid%253A1

digital_matthew

03 Jan 2018, 19:29

jerue wrote: Cool Model M with Hebrew caps, $1200...one zero too many imo but you can make an offer :)
Probably saw that 3101 sell for $1200 and thought, "Yeah it's pretty much the same thing." :roll:

JP!

03 Jan 2018, 19:31

digital_matthew wrote:
jerue wrote: Cool Model M with Hebrew caps, $1200...one zero too many imo but you can make an offer :)
Probably saw that 3101 sell for $1200 and thought, "Yeah it's pretty much the same thing." :roll:
Nope, that one's been for sale for a while. Hasn't gotten any cheaper.

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

03 Jan 2018, 19:50

alh84001 wrote:
I wouldn't say 3278s are way more common than kishies (especially some variants), if at all. Because of that batch two years ago, kishies are not the rarest of boards (still veeeery rare by all accounts), the trouble is no one wants to get rid of them :)
Well, yes. Maybe the 3278 isn't rarer than the Kishsaver, although it is harder to get for the reason you mentioned. :)

Chyros

03 Jan 2018, 23:05

JP! wrote: Another 5251 beamer. It's an absolute steal if you ask me :roll:

That's go the system and documentation and everything. Man, the 5251 was such a fantastic-looking computer :D .

just_add_coffee

03 Jan 2018, 23:13

I'm back.

The mob has spoken! :D

digital_matthew

03 Jan 2018, 23:33

just_add_coffee wrote: I'm back.

The mob has spoken! :D
(Puts down torch and pitchfork) Well okay then. :)

xxhellfirexx

04 Jan 2018, 00:08

Chyros wrote:
JP! wrote: Another 5251 beamer. It's an absolute steal if you ask me :roll:

That's go the system and documentation and everything. Man, the 5251 was such a fantastic-looking computer :D .

I wonder if anyone was able to retro-mod the monitor as that will make a pretty kick ass battle station.

digital_matthew

04 Jan 2018, 03:53

codemonkeymike

04 Jan 2018, 04:05

You will notice too that many of the alphanumeric keys are brown instead of white. They are keys taken from a vintage IBM Selectric II that I felt gave a nice contrast to an otherwise very plain looking keyboard. I hope you agree! :-)
No I don't agree, also I would hope he would include the original keys because they look much better on the board

FXT
XT

04 Jan 2018, 04:23

All these beam spring boards coming up when I don't have any money. Ah well.

digital_matthew

04 Jan 2018, 04:31

digital_matthew wrote: White(ish) Whale ahoy!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM-Di ... SwB3BaTWqQ
AAAnnnddd it's gone...

FXT
XT

04 Jan 2018, 04:33

digital_matthew wrote:
digital_matthew wrote: White(ish) Whale ahoy!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM-Di ... SwB3BaTWqQ
AAAnnnddd it's gone...
Well that was fast...

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

04 Jan 2018, 05:23

$660 and it sells in minutes. Seller kicking himself for not making it an auction.

Return to “Other external”