Disassembling and Reassembling Datanetics DC-60 Switches

OldIsNew

21 Oct 2017, 10:05

I posted about my Fluke 1720A Programmer keyboard with scratchy Datanetics DC-60 Switches. I like the board but the scratchy switches are annoying so I wanted to see if I could disassemble and clean the switches AND get them back together in good working order. It did not appear likely to be an easy task.
orig.jpg
orig.jpg (103.21 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
The switches are held together with two plastic rivets that have had the ends "mushroomed" to hold them in place and this prevents simply prying the switch apart.
Original Switch
Original Switch
undrilled.jpg (121.22 KiB) Viewed 1370 times

Using a Dremel on a stand with a 3/32" bit I removed just the very end of the rivets
drill.jpg
drill.jpg (97.87 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
Drilled Switch
Drilled Switch
drilled.jpg (141.38 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
After this it is possible to pry the switch open leaving the majority of the rivets intact for re-closing the switch.
open1.jpg
open1.jpg (172.34 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
open2.jpg
open2.jpg (120.93 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
As others have previously noted the contacts are very similar to Hi-Tek or Stackpole. There is a bar in the slider that holds the contacts apart until the switch is depressed.
Switch Parts
Switch Parts
parts1.jpg (69.44 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
Switch Parts
Switch Parts
parts2.jpg (70.93 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
The riskiest part is reassembly - great care has to be taken to gently slide the bar between the contacts without bending them!
closing.jpg
closing.jpg (175.78 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
If care is taken not to remove more than the tips of the rivets (only a millimeter or two) the rivets will snap back into place and I have found the switches to be held together firmly. They could be glued, of course, but I wanted to be able to open them again if necessary.
Reassembled Switch
Reassembled Switch
reclosed.jpg (141.61 KiB) Viewed 1370 times

I cleaned all the switch parts in 91% isopropanol and they are now much smoother and no longer scratchy. I did put some Superlube along the outside of the slider on one switch, but I don't really feel much difference between the lubed switch and the other newly cleaned ones - I guess it could make a difference down the road though.

Of course another issue is that desoldering, opening, cleaning and reassembling every switch on the board is quite a task. I think I'm going to just gradually work at it as time allows.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

21 Oct 2017, 10:27

Impressive work once again, these pictures are better than what we have on file in our wiki page. Will you allow us to use your pictures for our wiki page please?

wiki/Datanetics_DC-60_series

OldIsNew

21 Oct 2017, 15:18

seebart wrote: Will you allow us to use your pictures for our wiki page please?

wiki/Datanetics_DC-60_series
Thanks. For sure, if any of the pics would be of use, more than welcome to them. I can take additional pictures (hopefully with a better camera) if here are any in particular that would be helpful. I'm going to have to read up on the wiki how to page - there I have been wanting to try adding a little, but have been a little afraid of screwing up the formatting or something on a page.

Daniel Beardsmore

21 Oct 2017, 18:33

Looking at a unused parts, it did seem like the shell snapped together, but in your case, the parts that would secure the shell seem to have been drilled away. And yet, somehow it still snaps together.

OldIsNew

21 Oct 2017, 20:22

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: Looking at a unused parts, it did seem like the shell snapped together, but in your case, the parts that would secure the shell seem to have been drilled away. And yet, somehow it still snaps together.
What appears to be happening is that by drilling away just the very tip of the rivets, enough of the "mushroom" is removed to allow the switch to be opened without snapping the remaining rivet, but enough is left so that the switch will snap back together.
rivet1.jpg
rivet1.jpg (133.8 KiB) Viewed 1301 times
rivet2.jpg
rivet2.jpg (106.44 KiB) Viewed 1301 times
The six switches I've done so far stay together firmly, but can be pulled apart again without difficulty. Trying to pull a keycap, for example, would definitely lift the top off the case but they won't just pop open on their own. Applying some glue to the rivets would leave them very tightly closed again, but I'm going to leave mine unglued for now because I want to be able to open them at will.

Daniel Beardsmore

21 Oct 2017, 22:14

It's a very distinct ridge when new:

I don't know how strongly that holds as I only have one set of new parts and I can't risk assembling it!

Return to “Workshop”