Custom Case for Zenith ZKB-7 aka Eazy PC

User avatar
ddrfraser1

31 Mar 2021, 17:11

Lalaland124 wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 16:04
It would indeed be cool to have a "Skywalker" and "Vader" edition :D
😍😍😍

wanderhoden

31 Mar 2021, 21:05

impressive stuff now i rly want a vader case to gimme gimme gimme

User avatar
Muirium
µ

31 Mar 2021, 21:10

Hail Sata… I mean Vader! Yeah Vader.

(It was close but I think I got away with it.)

wanderhoden

31 Mar 2021, 21:27

almost choke on that one

User avatar
Muirium
µ

31 Mar 2021, 21:39

Allow me to thumbs up your post. 🤘

User avatar
Lalaland124

31 Mar 2021, 23:45

wanderhoden wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 21:05
impressive stuff now i rly want a vader case to gimme gimme gimme
Heheheh

Thanks for all the feedback, I'm getting there with the model.

Just a bit of patience until I find a big a** 3d printer or service that doesn't charge like 200€ for one piece :D

User avatar
Muirium
µ

03 Apr 2021, 11:59

Screenshot 2021-04-03 at 10.50.27 am.jpg
Screenshot 2021-04-03 at 10.50.27 am.jpg (181.24 KiB) Viewed 414 times
Side.jpg
Side.jpg (139.24 KiB) Viewed 414 times

User avatar
Lalaland124

03 Apr 2021, 13:05

Awesome thanks! This will definitely be useful :)

User avatar
Lalaland124

05 Apr 2021, 18:47

Update: I completely remodeled the old Zenith ZKB-7 Case in CAD. Before I start finishing off the design with the metal plates I will check if all measurements are correct. Big thanks to TNT and Muirium for helping me out with these!

Right now all 3D-Services I saw online charged a minimum of 200€ for the case, so I will have to figure out how I can bring that price down..

Anyways I will post the more detailed renders here in a few days until then thanks for all the support. Looking forward to bringing Vader and Skywalker to life :D
Spoiler:
c2.png
c2.png (840 KiB) Viewed 336 times
c1.png
c1.png (1.05 MiB) Viewed 336 times

User avatar
derzemel

05 Apr 2021, 21:13

I have one of these beautiful Zenith Eazy PC keyboards too, also with the case broken by the postal service around the cable cutout (in a very similar fashion to yours).

I did not have the heart to break it down for the switches, so I glued the case back (all the case pieces were in the package). I have not managed to get it to work with a modern PC yet (need to look closer into converters, as it seems it has the XT protocol)

User avatar
TNT

05 Apr 2021, 21:58

I followed Hasu's instructions for his XT converter. It's a Teensy mod similar to a Soarer's converter with two pullup resistors. Normal Soarer isn't working with this board. All in all not too complicated to convert :)

User avatar
TNT

05 Apr 2021, 21:58

Lalaland124 wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 18:47
Update: I completely remodeled the old Zenith ZKB-7 Case in CAD. Before I start finishing off the design with the metal plates I will check if all measurements are correct. Big thanks to TNT and Muirium for helping me out with these!

Right now all 3D-Services I saw online charged a minimum of 200€ for the case, so I will have to figure out how I can bring that price down..

Anyways I will post the more detailed renders here in a few days until then thanks for all the support. Looking forward to bringing Vader and Skywalker to life :D
Spoiler:
c2.png
c1.png
looks great! Looking forward to this

User avatar
Lalaland124

06 Apr 2021, 18:52

Update: DHL refuses to refund the package which really sucks given that I got the whole thing for 190€ broken...
Anyways, I may have found a way to print the case very cheap by splitting it in half (the metal sheets would cover the line and would hold the two pieces together)

User avatar
Muirium
µ

06 Apr 2021, 19:53

Feel your pain. And hope the cunning new way works as planned.

User avatar
TNT

07 Apr 2021, 04:56

How are they justifying this? Are they saying it's the vendors' fault for not putting enough protective stuff inside? Well, it clearly wasn't broken before they carried it to you. So what is that "insurance" for anyway? This is so unfair, smh.

I'd love to see a prototype, good idea with the split case. Maybe you could try to not split it into perfect halves, but still leave some kind of structure to give additional stability to the case. Some kind of form-fit connection.

User avatar
Lalaland124

07 Apr 2021, 16:33

TNT wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 04:56
How are they justifying this? Are they saying it's the vendors' fault for not putting enough protective stuff inside? Well, it clearly wasn't broken before they carried it to you. So what is that "insurance" for anyway?
Yess, they wrote a letter where they explained that the thing wasn't well protected (The seller even put 8cm styrofoam in there so I don't get their point..)
Now the seller complained himself so we will see in how far this works.
TNT wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 04:56
I'd love to see a prototype, good idea with the split case. Maybe you could try to not split it into perfect halves, but still leave some kind of structure to give additional stability to the case. Some kind of form-fit connection.
That's the plan :) If everything turns out as I want it to, then it would be really easy for anyone with a 3D printer to make the case.

Post Reply

Return to “Workshop”