IDENTIFY THE KEYBOARD thread

Muirium
µ

15 Oct 2015, 21:51

Ah, the old "is Topre mechanical" argument. That's why I don't like the term "mechanical" keyboards to describe what we're into. I've even heard people say Model F isn't mechanical because it doesn't have switch contacts. Come on! Capsense is awesome, much better than contacts in every case.

Quality keyboards would be a better name for all this stuff, or something in that vein.

As for slider over dome… it all comes down to the dome, and the switch mechanism. Dome over membrane (pretty much every crappy board from the 1990s until chiclet took over in recent years) is a bad recipe because you have to bottom out. All my most hated keyboards are dome over membrane. But capsense alone won't rescue a crappy dome. It can, however, liberate a good one.

andrewjoy

15 Oct 2015, 21:53

a slider makes all the difference on a dome IMO. as the key itself is not falling onto a dome it has some feel to it and some rigidity.

Chyros

15 Oct 2015, 23:43

andrewjoy wrote: usually slider over domes are not 1/2 bad, not something to lust over but passable. Something does not have to be true mechanical to be good , look at Trope.
Hmmm, not quite sure about that. I've been saving a lot of dome with slider keyboards for the last two months or so for a big dome with slider review; some of them are pretty bad - not better or even worse than a standard rubber dome - but others are pretty good, not in need at all of a mechanical component.

Of course, I haven't tried Topre yet; the alleged king of dome with slider systems. The odds of me finding one of them at the recycling centre are extremely poor after all. But the capacitive detection system itself should really affect the keyfeel, I would expect. If it feels great, that really should be because of the quality of the rubber dome and slider systems rather than the flat metal plates underneath, I'd think.

Scottex

15 Oct 2015, 23:54

Chyros wrote: If it feels great, that really should be because of the quality of the rubber dome and slider systems rather than the flat metal plates underneath, I'd think.
I have always thought that Topre is just very high quality slider over dome. Some people argue that the spring under the membrane provides a distinctive feel, some say it doesn't.
That THOCK tho.

Muirium
µ

16 Oct 2015, 00:13

The spring does nothing. I love Topre, but I can't tell the damn difference when I leave a spring out of a switch on purpose. Well… until I plug it into a computer and that key doesn't fire any more! That's why the springs are there: for capacitative sensing. Without the spring, the dome is invisible to the PCB's sensor pads.

Topre's a handful of things all in one package. Superb domes (that's where the thock and the pleasant bottoming out comes from), excellent caps (better than anything shipping on any other modern board), and crucially: capsense. Topre fires half way through travel, like MX. You don't have to bottom out, and you certainly don't have to pound them home like so many lesser rubber domes. This is what sets Topre apart, and makes it really fly, like "mechs" rather than other domes. You fire and forget. No need to ram it to make sure.

Capsense works great on IBM Model F, but it's quite remarkable how it unleashes the dome with Topre. I won't abide any other rubberdomes, but Topre I really do use a lot!

terrycherry

18 Oct 2015, 11:40

This NCR model 4950 must have the NMB Hi-Tek, but I don't know what's color and variant is it. Could someone id this?
http://www.recycledgoods.com/ncr-2920-9 ... -4000.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-NCR-Comput ... 1599643889

zuglufttier

23 Oct 2015, 14:27

Does anybody know what these two boards may be? Is the key tronic something to consider? I might get it for free...
20151023051816.jpg
20151023051816.jpg (490.63 KiB) Viewed 7615 times
kbd1.JPG
kbd1.JPG (258.42 KiB) Viewed 7615 times

terrycherry

23 Oct 2015, 14:40

Free is not to afraid which switch it has. Just bring it and shot the switch to us. We"ll id it later. Don't worry.

Chyros

23 Oct 2015, 14:56

Key Tronic will be either overrated rubber dome or foam and foil, almost certainly the former in this case. The scond I'm not sure about.

zuglufttier

23 Oct 2015, 15:15

OK, I can't get the key tronic anyway but I think I'll get the other board in a few days... I'll post some pictures if it doesn't feel like crap to begin with ;)

ettasian

24 Oct 2015, 23:51

Anyone seen this before?

photekq
Cherry Picker

25 Oct 2015, 00:37

ettasian wrote: Anyone seen this before?
It's made by Cherry for sure. Very, very rare. Definitely buy it if you have the chance. It'll almost certainly be worth more than what you'll have to pay for it.

ettasian

25 Oct 2015, 00:39

photekq wrote:
ettasian wrote: Anyone seen this before?
It's made by Cherry for sure. Very, very rare. Definitely buy it if you have the chance. It'll almost certainly be worth more than what you'll have to pay for it.
Yep, if I'm lucky it will be around $20 +$5 shipping. Definitely gonna try.

Chyros

25 Oct 2015, 00:42

Why Cherry? =o

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

25 Oct 2015, 01:30

Because. Definitely Cherry! Please get this.

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

25 Oct 2015, 11:02

Chyros wrote: Why Cherry? =o
- Style of the font (looks also like doubleshot)
- shape of the keycaps
- TA logo at the bottom, Triumph Adler gear is often produced by cherry (and old TA stuff is always produced by cherry)

all in all a really nice keyboard, I want it :)

Findecanor

25 Oct 2015, 11:23

I think I have also seen that keyboard model before on forums.

ettasian

25 Oct 2015, 12:15

And this? If my memory doesn't fail me, there was something about M8 switches and this one.

ettasian

25 Oct 2015, 18:39

Ok, that's the last one, I swear.
With what appears to be covered version of cherry M8.
More photos here, so I don't take up much space :)

msiegel

25 Oct 2015, 20:39

ettasian wrote: And this? If my memory doesn't fail me, there was something about M8 switches and this one.
Spoiler:
Hey, that looks like the one from "Linus Visits the Cherry Factory" video! (kb at 8m22s)

ettasian

25 Oct 2015, 21:01

msiegel wrote:
ettasian wrote: And this? If my memory doesn't fail me, there was something about M8 switches and this one.
Spoiler:
Hey, that looks like the one from "Linus Visits the Cherry Factory" video! (kb at 8m22s)
Oh my god..
I wonder if they meant first as in first cherry keyboard, or just first with M8 switches.
Either way.. Oh god..
I need it.

Thanks buddy.

mr_a500

25 Oct 2015, 21:35

msiegel wrote:
Spoiler:
Hey, msiegel! :o I remember you. :) You mysteriously disappeared from geekhack a few years ago. Nice to see you here. Fascinating video.

ettasian wrote: Oh my god..
I wonder if they meant first as in first cherry keyboard, or just first with M8 switches.
I don't think it's the first Cherry keyboard. It might be the first German-made Cherry keyboard though. Cherry moved from US to Germany in 1979. Here is one of the last US-Made Cherry keyboards, my Cherry Pro from 1979:

Last edited by mr_a500 on 26 Oct 2015, 13:04, edited 1 time in total.

msiegel

26 Oct 2015, 02:25

Hi Mr_A! :) It *has* been awhile. Nice to see you and a few other familiar users around here, too.

Ironically related to this video, I'm getting my Cherry keyboards ready to sell off. I need the tactility of metal, haha XD

ettasian, I'm a little disappointed that isn't one of your own boards ;)

ettasian

26 Oct 2015, 09:23

No need for dissapoinment. It's on its way here :)and I'm gonna take lots of photos for wiki and everyone :)

ettasian

27 Oct 2015, 17:34

mr_a500 wrote: I don't think it's the first Cherry keyboard. It might be the first German-made Cherry keyboard though. Cherry moved from US to Germany in 1979. Here is one of the last US-Made Cherry keyboards, my Cherry Pro from 1979:

Hey, that's a nice one. What are the switches? :) I got lately a 84' Cherry board myself, M8 covered variant. Sadly can't really find out for sure what the board itself is named.

And about first Cherry keyboards in Germany, I just found something on the Cherry's site itself:
"The shifting of production to Upper Franconian Bayreuth in 1967 is a milestone in computer history. It was here that the first keyboards in the world were manufactured."
and
"By 1967 CHERRY had manufactured the first keyboard in Germany."

And Bayreuth is in fact a city in Germany. So.. who knows ;)

mr_a500

27 Oct 2015, 17:38

The switches are M7. You can see more here:
http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/che ... t9903.html
ettasian wrote:
mr_a500 wrote: And about first Cherry keyboards in Germany, I just found something on the Cherry's site itself:
"The shifting of production to Upper Franconian Bayreuth in 1967 is a milestone in computer history. It was here that the first keyboards in the world were manufactured."
I'd say that's a load of crap. There were plenty of computers keyboards before 1967.

ettasian

27 Oct 2015, 17:39

mr_a500 wrote: The switches are M7. You can see more here:
http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/che ... t9903.html
ettasian wrote:
mr_a500 wrote: And about first Cherry keyboards in Germany, I just found something on the Cherry's site itself:
I'd say that's a load of crap. There were plenty of computers keyboards before 1967.
Can't disagree on that, but hey, it's propably just some poor translation from German :lol:

mr_a500

27 Oct 2015, 18:47

I've never seen any German-made Cherry keyboards made before 1979, but I could be wrong. I'd like to see if anybody can find one.

As for the "first keyboards in the world" in 1967, I know for sure that's not true. Here's a keyboard on the 1964 LINC minicomputer:
LINC-MauryPepper_large.jpg
(Check out that thickness! Apparently, it's a crap keyboard.)

I've been keeping a list of early terminals (with keyboards):

1963 TEK
1964 Univac Uniscope 300 ("Unimatic")
1964 IBM 2260
196? IBM 2250
1967 Sanders 720 (Micro Switch)
1967 Burroughs Input and Display System (Micro Switch)

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

27 Oct 2015, 19:05

ettasian wrote: "The shifting of production to Upper Franconian Bayreuth in 1967 is a milestone in computer history. It was here that the first keyboards in the world were manufactured."...but hey, it's propably just some poor translation from German...I just found something on the Cherry's site itself
Because that's the way cherry would like to have potentail customers believe it. ;) Not a translation problem, that's cherry's PR garbage.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

27 Oct 2015, 19:09

It might be a translation problem, if they meant the following:
"The shifting of production to Upper Franconian Bayreuth in 1967 is a milestone in computer history. It was here that the first keyboards in the world were had been manufactured."
But I doubt they did :mrgreen:

Return to “Keyboards”