NovaTouch TKL Community Tour

andrewjoy

25 Oct 2015, 16:00

My experience was different

I prefer the feel of the novatouch to the variable realforce, but your right that upstroke sound is just , wrong . Hopefully the custom dampening group buy will solve that problem for when i finally get one :)

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

25 Oct 2015, 16:04

Interesting Andrew, I'd say feel is more important than sound which speaks for the novatouch considering the price difference compared to any realforce. I've been thinking about getting one myself.

User avatar
Muirium
µ

25 Oct 2015, 16:10

Better make your mind up quick, because the Hyper rings European GB is starting soon. (I'm currently working out implementation details. Specifically the best way to transfer money. My PayPal account is in Ye Ole Englische Poundes, which could mean double dipping for PayPal if I pass USD through it. So I'm investigating alternatives.)

Andy's not the only one to have had a bad experience with 002's touring Realforce recently. The old girl might need a spot of TLC to restore her Topre goodness. My own Realforce is tight and supple… uh, actually, let me stand back from that metaphor right now! But you get what I mean. Damped NovaTouches are very nice boards, but I still give the native Realforce the edge in feel. It's damn narrow though, compared to a stock NovaTouch.

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

25 Oct 2015, 16:19

The video comparison in your review is pretty clear, and since I do own a FC660C I'm holding on novamadness for now. But it's tempting at that "realistic" pricetag. Not sure how much the ratteling sliders would bother me.

User avatar
Muirium
µ

25 Oct 2015, 16:31

As you saw in the video, I've got two NovaTouches (meant to give one to my youngest brother as a present for helping me with the soldering sometime). One of them is still undamped. It's not horrible to type on, but I strongly prefer the damped model.

What's this "realistic" price you mention? The one you saw on Ebay for sale in Dresden? The MassDrop price is okay, but then there's shipping them over here…

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

25 Oct 2015, 16:35

Realistic compared to any RF, that's the price I'm seeing. ;) And actually available here too. No import hassle.

Compared to this for example, of course they're out of stock as usual.

http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard/usa- ... yboard.asp

User avatar
Muirium
µ

25 Oct 2015, 21:15

The fact the Keyboard Company can sell out of keyboards priced that high on a regular basis really says a lot for the Realforce legend. And for regional exclusivity! Imagine what £BANK they could make if they carried the HHKB…

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

25 Oct 2015, 21:24

True, although I don't know their stock policy or how much they sell. Also their whole online shop seems a little oldfashioned for RF etc. not that there is anything wrong with that. I tried to buy there once and because I made a mistake in the shipping option they refunded my € before asking me. Kinda strange behavior.

User avatar
Muirium
µ

25 Oct 2015, 21:44

Apparently end user sales are just something they do on the side. I've heard people here defend the My First Mosaic Web Site! look of the store based on that…

andrewjoy

25 Oct 2015, 22:47

i would rather have the outdated 90s web store than some of the modern flash laden crap

User avatar
Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

25 Oct 2015, 23:02

andrewjoy wrote: My experience was different

I prefer the feel of the novatouch to the variable realforce, but your right that upstroke sound is just , wrong . Hopefully the custom dampening group buy will solve that problem for when i finally get one :)
I strongly dislike the variable Realforce but the uniform version is amazing. Unfortunately I had to sell mine because I can no longer stand the ISO layout. :(

User avatar
Muirium
µ

25 Oct 2015, 23:45

andrewjoy wrote: i would rather have the outdated 90s web store than some of the modern flash laden crap
Flash is modern? Maybe 10 years ago. I haven't had that shit on any computer of mine in donkey's years, and the web's no worse for it. Browsers are dropping support for the security hole ridden piece of runtime faster than you can say Told You So.

User avatar
Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

25 Oct 2015, 23:49

Now if we could just get rid of Java widgets as well...

andrewjoy

26 Oct 2015, 00:21

Spikebolt wrote: Now if we could just get rid of Java widgets as well...
Indeed , at least active x is mostly gone .


To be fair however, i see no reason why the web cannot still look like this. For static pages what is the point is having flashing buttons and pictures everywhere it just gets the the way.

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

User avatar
Muirium
µ

26 Oct 2015, 00:24

I mostly agree. My favourite daily visit is to Daring Fireball, which has been the same design since 2002:

http://daringfireball.net

My beef with Keyboard Co is their website IS FUCKING UGLY and gives me a headache just from looking at it, let alone the navigation.

Btw: Java. Not on any system of mine now since at least 2009, along with Flash. And I notice zero lost functionality.

andrewjoy

26 Oct 2015, 00:32

Muirium wrote: I mostly agree. My favourite daily visit is to Daring Fireball, which has been the same design since 2002:

http://daringfireball.net
I like it , however i am a classic black text on white background man myself. For example this is a quick google site that i created to replace our outstandingly shitty WordPress intranet that was out of date and could not be updated as it was created with a custom version of php ( no idea why) and has 3 custom plugins to integrate with open directory that have not worked since leopard days
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (235.11 KiB) Viewed 2149 times

User avatar
Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

27 Oct 2015, 11:34

Just placed the Novatouch back in its box and with the original keycaps. I contacted acolombo on the 21st but so far I had no reply (it's on the Sent folder, not outbox). If he doesn't reply by tomorrow, and you find it acceptable, I will contact the next person in line and maybe he can be placed last or something. I'm sure he's just super busy.

If it's okay with Bran I will also attempt to get a different card box tonight. The whole keyboard weights around 1.6kg. The card box alone weights 0.7kg. It's a big and heavy card box, and I'm hoping I can make it under the 2kg because it makes a big price difference: from 15.50 euros to 66 euros :lol:

User avatar
Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

29 Oct 2015, 13:27

Spikebolt wrote: Just placed the Novatouch back in its box and with the original keycaps. I contacted acolombo on the 21st but so far I had no reply (it's on the Sent folder, not outbox). If he doesn't reply by tomorrow, and you find it acceptable, I will contact the next person in line and maybe he can be placed last or something. I'm sure he's just super busy.

If it's okay with Bran I will also attempt to get a different card box tonight. The whole keyboard weights around 1.6kg. The card box alone weights 0.7kg. It's a big and heavy card box, and I'm hoping I can make it under the 2kg because it makes a big price difference: from 15.50 euros to 66 euros :lol:
Hi Spikebolt,

I am fine with contacting the next person on the list.

As for the packaging, if you all agree on this I am also fine. For me it is part of the "package" to say :mrgreen: but with those kind of shipping rates i totally understand it! :oops:

Cheers!

User avatar
Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

30 Oct 2015, 11:26

I didn't mean the keyboard box, I meant the brown shipping cardbox. :lol:

Contacting the next person in line now.

IjonTichy

30 Oct 2015, 20:18

Does that mean there is an empty spot waiting to be filled? :D If so I would be really interested once the keyboard is in Germany.

User avatar
Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

02 Nov 2015, 08:51

Spikebolt wrote: I didn't mean the keyboard box, I meant the brown shipping cardbox. :lol:

Contacting the next person in line now.
Hehe whoops, I understood it wrong then, sorry :D! Can you let us know if the next replied and the keyboard is on its way again?
IjonTichy wrote: Does that mean there is an empty spot waiting to be filled? :D If so I would be really interested once the keyboard is in Germany.
Let me check what we can do :)!

User avatar
Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

02 Nov 2015, 12:43

Acolombo replied this weekend saying he had canceled his participation in the tour, so it was probably never removed from the initial list.

Right now I'm getting into sending the package to chzel. Unfortunately the guys at my post office are dicks and tell me the package is 50 grams over 2kg, even though I weighted it at home and was a 1.950kg or something. Sigh, looking into alternatives.

User avatar
Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

03 Nov 2015, 07:54

Spikebolt wrote: Acolombo replied this weekend saying he had canceled his participation in the tour, so it was probably never removed from the initial list.

Right now I'm getting into sending the package to chzel. Unfortunately the guys at my post office are dicks and tell me the package is 50 grams over 2kg, even though I weighted it at home and was a 1.950kg or something. Sigh, looking into alternatives.
Ah sorry for that.. Now that you mention it I indeed remember, I have taken him off the list. Please indeed send it to the next person, thanks Spikebolt! :)

User avatar
jou

03 Nov 2015, 09:49

Spikebolt wrote: Unfortunately the guys at my post office are dicks and tell me the package is 50 grams over 2kg, even though I weighted it at home and was a 1.950kg or something. Sigh, looking into alternatives.
Maybe send the caps separately in a small flat package as registered mail?

User avatar
Scottex

03 Nov 2015, 10:13

Any chance this could travel to spain in it's way to greece? :P
I know it's late to ask for this but I NEED to try Topre :D

User avatar
Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

03 Nov 2015, 11:46

The Novatouch is on the way to chzel! I can provide a tracking number if requested.

User avatar
Scottex

03 Nov 2015, 12:13

Spikebolt wrote: The Novatouch is on the way to chzel! I can provide a tracking number if requested.
Welp there goes my opportunity to try a Topre kb ;_;

User avatar
Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

03 Nov 2015, 12:16

Sorry mate, but if you're allowed to join by CM Bram you are probably going to the end of line :P

User avatar
Scottex

03 Nov 2015, 13:51

End of the line doesn't sound bad as long as it's only the europe list :3

IjonTichy

04 Nov 2015, 22:10

CM Bram wrote: Let me check what we can do :)!
That sounds great, thanks!

Post Reply

Return to “Try before you buy”