Country flags

Icarium

29 Jun 2012, 11:10

It's suggestion day.

First I thought that it would be nice to immediately see the country of origin of a poster but now that I think about it what I really would like to see is a marketplace filter so I don't even need them anymore. :)
Ideally something where I can filter by destination (because if something is only shipped to CONUS I don't have to try to buy it) and a source filter because if something is shipped from outside Europe, I probably don't want to buy it.

But maybe I'm overoptimizing. So far the marketplace isn't totally out of control.

In the long run more tags like vintage, nib, customized, keycaps and so on would be great, I suppose. I tried following the marketplace on GH for a while but it was just too much.

Acanthophis

29 Jun 2012, 11:17

Marketplace divisions like FS, WTB, GB.
Flags are a good idea, but I think they will be too flashy. DT is pretty much b/w with a little colour.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

29 Jun 2012, 11:38

Filter by destination is definitely a bad option in my eyes.
It is eBay default. That' why a search doesn't retrieve foreign items for which in fact the seller wouldn't object (but has not bothered to select) shipping worldwide.

And source filter whould mean any DT user trying to sell anything would have to disclose their country of residence.
While I do find they should anyway, there's nothing to object to them not doing so if shipping costs are detailed.

Muirium
µ

04 Jun 2016, 12:37

Rare to find myself play the necromancer, but: this would still actually make a nice feature. A user selectable flag in their profile page? So long as Scotland's in there, I'd be happy…

I mean, we already do this:

help-f53/please-add-your-country-of-res ... t1386.html

But an optional choice of flag in there would be a nice bonus.

photekq
Cherry Picker

04 Jun 2016, 12:45

I'd love this, so long as the Welsh flag isn't excluded.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

04 Jun 2016, 16:13

Muirium wrote: So long as Scotland's in there, I'd be happy…
photekq wrote: I'd love this, so long as the Welsh flag isn't excluded.
On the other hand, flags of e.g. Scotland or Wales will be of negligible informative value outside the UK.

Or would you know, if you don't live in France, which flags the following are?

Spoiler:
Corsica
Spoiler:
Bretagne

Muirium
µ

04 Jun 2016, 16:21

True. There is a limit. I don't support the idea of Japanese prefectural flags (as flashy as some of them may be), or the various counties of Scotland, England or wherever else. But some non-nation states are definitely worth recognition. The nations in waiting! Such as the Basques:

And of course our good pals in Catalonia:

Forcing either of those guys to fly the Spanish flag is asking for trouble! And the same is true for me with the Union Jack. It has empire written all over it. England's cross slapped bang on top of ours. Ugh.

The flag idea is as an optional extra. People can leave it unset, as they like. The text field is the canonical location identifier. And if it's too much bother, no big deal. We've lived this far without it.

maxmalkav
dye hard

04 Jun 2016, 18:10

Muirium wrote:True. There is a limit. I don't support the idea of Japanese prefectural flags (as flashy as some of them may be), or the various counties of Scotland, England or wherever else. But some non-nation states are definitely worth recognition. The nations in waiting! Such as the Basques:

And of course our good pals in Catalonia:

Forcing either of those guys to fly the Spanish flag is asking for trouble! And the same is true for me with the Union Jack. It has empire written all over it. England's cross slapped bang on top of ours. Ugh.
Mu, that's over simplifying. If you want be accurate, include Galicia's flag (surprise, it is one of the historical nations in Spain and Galician language is together with Catalonian and Basque a co official language.

Maybe Galicia is a "second class" nationality here and outside Spain cause they do not have such a strong political agenda behind (I'd say this is quite noticeable in the Catalonia case)

Btw, that Basque flag is legit and official, not that much the Catalonian flag that you link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muirium
µ

04 Jun 2016, 18:26

Yeah, I just picked out the two Spanish ones we most often hear about up here, as examples to counter Kbdfr's French pair. There's a lot of politics in flags. I'd rather have none at all than the Union Jack, which makes me queasy the way the confederate battle flag does to most Americans. Which I suppose brings a smile to Kbdfr, as we flag advocates quibble amongst ourselves!

Not everyone has the pleasure of a country that's happily united in its identity. Limiting strictly to the current list of UN member nations is problematic.

webwit
Wild Duck

05 Jun 2016, 00:15

Test 123. Test.

Halvar

05 Jun 2016, 00:19

Ohhhhh...

emdude
Model M Apologist

05 Jun 2016, 00:20

Neat! :o

Muirium
µ

05 Jun 2016, 00:34

Beautiful! Even Scotland and Wales. Great implementation. And record fast turnaround, too.

Assuming you weren't working on this in 2012 and only coincidentally finished up today!

webwit
Wild Duck

05 Jun 2016, 00:41

Now I feel dirty for having touched the phpBB 3 codebase.

Muirium
µ

05 Jun 2016, 01:08

Think of it like this:
Better after the fact!

Return to “Deskthority talk”