The BTC 5100C search

y11971alex

03 Nov 2016, 22:34

Hey guys, I've posted a similar topic on GH, but I didn't find a response there.

I'm looking for a BTC 5100C keyboard, but from various sources I hear that the DIN version is better than the PS/2 one, since the former has separate domes, while the latter has the normal rubber dome sheet. I noticed that both the DIN and PS/2 version have two variants: the "Made in ROC" version, with a dark grey sicker over the LED bank, and the "Made in China" with a beige one. The "Made in China" version also sports purple PS/2 and AT plugs, while they are beige on the "Made in ROC" version. I was wondering if it was the plant that made them that matters instead of the interface?

Of course, "Made in ROC" stands for "Made in Republic of China" (now more descriptively known as Taiwan), whereas "Made in China" stands for "Made in People's Republic of China" (the mainland).

ohaimark
Kingpin

04 Nov 2016, 06:27

y11971alex

04 Nov 2016, 06:38

But is this one of the more desirable models?

ohaimark
Kingpin

04 Nov 2016, 06:42

It has a DIN connector and it's NIB. No idea in terms of manufacture location.

y11971alex

04 Nov 2016, 07:10

Well, bought it. It's only $15, but I have to use a forwarding service.

Powerslice

05 Nov 2016, 21:54

Do you need to bottom out the key for it to actuate on this keyboard?

Chyros

06 Nov 2016, 01:09

Powerslice wrote: Do you need to bottom out the key for it to actuate on this keyboard?
Yes, it's conductive dome over PCB.

Powerslice

06 Nov 2016, 09:20

Chyros wrote:
Powerslice wrote: Do you need to bottom out the key for it to actuate on this keyboard?
Oh well that is a shame, that would have been an interesting game changer if otherwise.

Chyros

06 Nov 2016, 10:04

Powerslice wrote:
Chyros wrote:
Oh well that is a shame, that would have been an interesting game changer if otherwise.
No that's what foam and foil is for ;) . Although that had some serious problems too...

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

06 Nov 2016, 11:25

Powerslice wrote:
Chyros wrote:
No it's interesting to me for exactly that fact, it would not be a "game changer" to me anyhow. Funny, I just bought one of these the other day in Germany, I guess you did not see that auction y11971alex. I don't have it here yet, I guess we can do simultaneus reviews then. :maverick:
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (169.5 KiB) Viewed 22507 times

Powerslice

14 Nov 2016, 03:27

Ehh forget I said it was a game changer then, but are there any other rubber dome keyboards that actuate before bottoming out other than Topre?

y11971alex

14 Nov 2016, 03:32

Well, I just got fleeced for shipping! It turns out my seller packaged the keyboard in a huge box, big enough to ship a beamspring safely. Then, my forwarder refused to repackage the item for me, and they charged $69 :geek:

And as a keyboard geek, I paid.

y11971alex

14 Nov 2016, 03:33

Powerslice wrote: Ehh forget I said it was a game changer then, but are there any other rubber dome keyboards that actuate before bottoming out other than Topre?
I recall that a keyboard called a "libretouch" uses a buckling rubber sleeve with springs over membrane. These can activate without "bottoming out".

elecplus

14 Nov 2016, 04:13

So did you get what you wanted?

y11971alex

14 Nov 2016, 04:51

It's on its way to me now, but I feel terrible.

seebart

14 Nov 2016, 05:16

Sorry to hear that y11971alex, I haven't not gotten mine either and it's only in Germany!

y11971alex

14 Nov 2016, 05:23

I even ordered special keycaps for it off the expected savings! What an unfortunate turn of events.

seebart

14 Nov 2016, 05:28

y11971alex wrote: I even ordered special keycaps for it off the expected savings! What an unfortunate turn of events.
Happens. As long as you get your BTC in one piece! The seller I got mine from (I have bought from him before) is very slow and grumpy. Last time he took over one month for simple shipping within Germany. Since it's ebay I could very well complain.

y11971alex

14 Nov 2016, 05:46

seebart wrote:
y11971alex wrote: I even ordered special keycaps for it off the expected savings! What an unfortunate turn of events.
Happens. As long as you get your BTC in one piece! The seller I got mine from (I have bought from him before) is very slow and grumpy. Last time he took over one month for simple shipping within Germany. Since it's ebay I could very well complain.
It's my second time getting burned by Borderlinx! ;)

seebart

14 Nov 2016, 06:30

y11971alex wrote:
seebart wrote:
It's my second time getting burned by Borderlinx! ;)
I've never tried services like Borderlinx, I almost tried Tenso JAPAN once but I did not need them in the end. Hope it works out for you!

y11971alex

15 Nov 2016, 03:13

;)

elecplus

15 Nov 2016, 11:56

I found both a black one and a white one yesterday. The white one is really filthy with the cord cut, but the back one looks decent, I think.

y11971alex

16 Nov 2016, 02:29

Return to “Keyboards”