Texas Instruments Low Profile Customizable Layout + Fat Brown Alps?

User avatar
JP!

30 Oct 2017, 08:13

Oh man, I wouldn't say I am qualified to name these but would love to hear some suggestions.

@Chyros - It's hard to nail down a color with my lighting. It seems like a light turquoise? I guess that white plastic piece just holds the smaller spring in place. Maybe it also serves as a guide for the larger spring?

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

30 Oct 2017, 08:18

JP! wrote: Oh man, I wouldn't say I am qualified to name these but would love to hear some suggestions.
squareJP!fatties

;) :lol:

User avatar
JP!

30 Oct 2017, 08:20

E3E wrote: It uses two springs per switch?
Is the tactile leaf part of a dummy switch plate that is removable like SKCM Brown Alps?
Yep, it uses two springs per switch.
There is a switch plate in the plastic housing which looks like it could be removed. I believe this is like SKCM Brown Alps.

I would say pastel blue best describes the color of the switch plate.

User avatar
JP!

30 Oct 2017, 08:21

seebart wrote:
JP! wrote: Oh man, I wouldn't say I am qualified to name these but would love to hear some suggestions.
squareJP!fatties

;) :lol:
I don't care that they are fat, it's the personality that matters ;)

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

30 Oct 2017, 08:26

JP! wrote: I don't care that they are fat, it's the personality that matters ;)
Oh Mr. Sophisticated eh? :P

User avatar
//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

30 Oct 2017, 08:40

can the tactile leaf be removed or is it part of the top housing molding? The teeth on the leaf kinda look like the shape of the neon green alps tactile leaves. It's hard to tell from that angle though.

Very cool find regardless! it'd be very interesting if they could fit in normal alps plates! You could build yourself one very unique custom!

User avatar
JP!

30 Oct 2017, 08:51

//gainsborough wrote: can the tactile leaf be removed or is it part of the top housing molding? The teeth on the leaf kinda look like the shape of the neon green alps tactile leaves. It's hard to tell from that angle though.

Very cool find regardless! it'd be very interesting if they could fit in normal alps plates! You could build yourself one very unique custom!
The one from the top housing is removable. A custom build would be interesting, not a lot of choices for keys though :lol:
4.JPG
4.JPG (394.83 KiB) Viewed 2076 times

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

30 Oct 2017, 09:00

JP! wrote: A custom build would be interesting, not a lot of choices for keys though :lol:
Just do us all a favor and take enough usable pics for the wiki before you kill it OK ?!? :roll:

User avatar
Daniel Beardsmore

30 Oct 2017, 09:30

seebart wrote: … I doubt the swtich is Alps Electric until proven in detail. …
The entrails mould marks never lie …

It's too bad that the other code isn't present, the one that gives you the series name. Those codes are frustratingly rare, and only Canon keyboards consistently used them.

Looking at the ICs, that would be 19_5, and 1985 would fit according to [wiki]Alps keyboard codes[/wiki]. So it's very early on in the SKCM lifetime.

Why the spring inside the slider though?

User avatar
flowerlandfilms

30 Oct 2017, 10:25

JP! wrote: Oh man, I wouldn't say I am qualified to name these but would love to hear some suggestions.
I love the name "Fat Alps" for the sheer hilarity and accuracy.
And in honour of Fats Domino.
Or you could go for the Topre pun and call them Oprah switches.
Or the mountain pun because they are from Texas Instruments and call them "Southern Alps".
I'm here all week folks, try the Salmon!

User avatar
Chyros

30 Oct 2017, 13:20

seebart wrote:
E3E wrote: Wow. Yeah, they're essentially a custom variant of SKCM Browns specifically for this model of board.
I'd think that's way too early to say that. Rare yes as we've never seen them but even that means little to nothing.
It's got a brown slider, a similar switchplate, and brown Alps tactile leaf and dummy post from what it looks like, it's probably not from the same series but surely it's at least somewhat related :p .

codemonkeymike

30 Oct 2017, 13:41

flowerlandfilms wrote:
JP! wrote: Oh man, I wouldn't say I am qualified to name these but would love to hear some suggestions.
I love the name "Fat Alps" for the sheer hilarity and accuracy.
And in honour of Fats Domino.
Or you could go for the Topre pun and call them Oprah switches.
Or the mountain pun because they are from Texas Instruments and call them "Southern Alps".
I'm here all week folks, try the Salmon!
"Lone Star Browns", a play on lone star blues and captures the whole "everything is bigger in Texas vibe".

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

30 Oct 2017, 14:10

Chyros wrote:
seebart wrote:
E3E wrote: Wow. Yeah, they're essentially a custom variant of SKCM Browns specifically for this model of board.
I'd think that's way too early to say that. Rare yes as we've never seen them but even that means little to nothing.
It's got a brown slider, a similar switchplate, and brown Alps tactile leaf and dummy post from what it looks like, it's probably not from the same series but surely it's at least somewhat related :p .
Absolutely.
codemonkeymike wrote:
flowerlandfilms wrote:
JP! wrote: Oh man, I wouldn't say I am qualified to name these but would love to hear some suggestions.
I love the name "Fat Alps" for the sheer hilarity and accuracy.
And in honour of Fats Domino.
Or you could go for the Topre pun and call them Oprah switches.
Or the mountain pun because they are from Texas Instruments and call them "Southern Alps".
I'm here all week folks, try the Salmon!
"Lone Star Browns", a play on lone star blues and captures the whole "everything is bigger in Texas vibe".
"Lone Star Browns" is great as a provisional name. No way we are calling them Oprah. :?

User avatar
Chyros

30 Oct 2017, 15:51

codemonkeymike wrote:
flowerlandfilms wrote:
JP! wrote: Oh man, I wouldn't say I am qualified to name these but would love to hear some suggestions.
I love the name "Fat Alps" for the sheer hilarity and accuracy.
And in honour of Fats Domino.
Or you could go for the Topre pun and call them Oprah switches.
Or the mountain pun because they are from Texas Instruments and call them "Southern Alps".
I'm here all week folks, try the Salmon!
"Lone Star Browns", a play on lone star blues and captures the whole "everything is bigger in Texas vibe".
Alps aren't even American xD .

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

30 Oct 2017, 15:53

Chyros wrote: Alps aren't even American xD .
Very true. :P Alright then:

FAT NIPPON square browns... :lol:

User avatar
E3E

30 Oct 2017, 18:30

Alps SKCFATM Doublespring Brown

It's interesting that the switches have little retaining clips for stabilizes built in. Makes sense with the modular nature of this keyboard. :D If only it came with more caps so you could add more keys as opposed to just rearranging what the board has on it.

I'm guessing that only the "60%" portion of the board with the alphanumerical keys has staggering and the rest is ortholinear, is that right? I was wondering how that'd work if not.

User avatar
Daniel Beardsmore

30 Oct 2017, 19:08

Way back in 2015, someone told me that Texas Instruments are prompt and helpful when dealing with enquiries about the TI-99/4A. It's worth contacting TI directly, JP!, and see if they are able to provide any details about this keyboard.

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

30 Oct 2017, 19:33

E3E wrote: Alps SKCFATM Doublespring Brown
Best suggestion so far.
Daniel Beardsmore wrote: Way back in 2015, someone told me that Texas Instruments are prompt and helpful when dealing with enquiries about the TI-99/4A. It's worth contacting TI directly, JP!, and see if they are able to provide any details about this keyboard.
In this case it would be well worth the effort.

User avatar
JP!

30 Oct 2017, 20:22

How does SKCM Brown Doublespring Mega (aka Fat Browns) sound?

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

30 Oct 2017, 20:24

JP! wrote: How does SKCM Brown Doublespring Mega (aka Fat Browns) sound?
Too long...so make that:

SKCM Brown Doublespring M̶e̶g̶a̶ ̶(̶a̶k̶a̶ ̶F̶a̶t̶ ̶B̶r̶o̶w̶n̶s̶)̶ ̶

:ugeek:

User avatar
JP!

30 Oct 2017, 20:31

seebart wrote:
JP! wrote: How does SKCM Brown Doublespring Mega (aka Fat Browns) sound?
Too long...so make that:

SKCM Brown Doublespring M̶e̶g̶a̶ ̶(̶a̶k̶a̶ ̶F̶a̶t̶ ̶B̶r̶o̶w̶n̶s̶)̶ ̶

:ugeek:
That sounds good to me. Thanks everyone for the name suggestions. If I have some time I will try and reach out to TI for more info.

User avatar
Sangdrax

30 Oct 2017, 21:16

This is such a cool find. The customization is so novel.

User avatar
juryduty

31 Oct 2017, 00:51

One of the best parts of this is the badass supermarket scale.

User avatar
JP!

31 Oct 2017, 01:07

So the best conclusion I can draw about the secondary smaller spring is that this spring along with the white plastic leg serve to provide a tiny bit more force once the actuation point is reached. This effect is quite nuanced. Note that the base where the large spring sits is raised in the center which is where the plastic leg would fit. I believe this design helps slow the descent, possibly preventing the slider from fully bottoming out or at least reducing unwanted sound if the slider bottoms out. Any travel distance past the actuation point is quite short. Once the actuation point is reached and you force it to bottom out, any additional noise is practically unnoticeable. Comparing this to a unmodified Cherry MX Blue for example, once the actuation point is reached you can easily produce more noise if you are a heavy handed typist who slams the keys so they bottom out.

User avatar
JP!

31 Oct 2017, 01:09

juryduty wrote: One of the best parts of this is the badass supermarket scale.
:lol: I wish the scale was mine.

User avatar
Norman_

31 Oct 2017, 02:37

Holy balls this is strange. Almost nothing about this is normal. Blanked out switches isn't that unique, but in this quantity definitely strange. After that you've got the square stem, two springs, curved backplate...

This is absolutely incredible.

User avatar
JP!

31 Oct 2017, 03:27

Finally plugged this beast into my computer. It did not work right when plugged into an active usb to ps2 adapter but everything works when using a soarer's adapter. Seems like there is some interference from my computer or somewhere though since there are some odd noises being produced the internal speaker. Reminds me of a laptop hard drive running.

Findecanor

31 Oct 2017, 03:34

seebart wrote: FAT NIPPON square browns... :lol:
Sumo-wrestler Alps switches? ;)

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

31 Oct 2017, 06:13

Findecanor wrote:
seebart wrote: FAT NIPPON square browns... :lol:
Sumo-wrestler Alps switches? ;)
:lol:
sumoblastjoke_orig.jpg
sumoblastjoke_orig.jpg (81.46 KiB) Viewed 1895 times

User avatar
hoaryhag

01 Nov 2017, 22:13

seebart wrote:
JP! wrote: A custom build would be interesting, not a lot of choices for keys though :lol:
Just do us all a favor and take enough usable pics for the wiki before you kill it OK ?!? :roll:
I would love to have one of these. It's already customizable. Please, don't hurt it. :cry:

Post Reply

Return to “Gallery”