Great/Interesting Finds

codemonkeymike

03 Mar 2018, 22:21

Maybe someone willing to pay 250$ for an XT case swap? That's still pretty insane if that is the case

User avatar
hansichen

03 Mar 2018, 22:22

And the case isn't even compatible without modifications, there is really an insane ibm hype which is not really understandable to me.

User avatar
webwit
Wild Duck

03 Mar 2018, 22:25

Maybe I should be the auction's party pooper and put one on ebay for $225 buy it now. :twisted:

User avatar
Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

03 Mar 2018, 22:28

Gnohio wrote: "Why buy it if you arent (eventually) going to use it?"
I sometimes do that...

But because it's some obscure protocol that I don't know how to convert and it is a nice keyboard. :lol:

User avatar
webwit
Wild Duck

03 Mar 2018, 23:00

Maybe you're making it too complicated. I bought mine (admittedly for less) at the time because I was into collecting IBM Industrials, and this is an Industrial Model F, very rare. It's a fine collector's piece. And in the auction maybe you just have some collecting folks with disposable income competing there. They don't make them anymore, and it's still cheaper than an average camera lens or phone. Also an asset of course, value may go up or down, but you don't spend the money like on a meal.

User avatar
tron

04 Mar 2018, 02:54

snuci wrote: Sadly, I think someone is crazy enough to buy one of these at these prices and it won't be to a vintage computer collector who actually needs it...

Vintage IBM Keyboard 3278

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282867822408
https://www.ebay.com/itm/282867813042

Price aside. Should I be concerned about buying an IBM terminal from that region/time period. Am I going to glow green after typing on it for ten minutes :lol:

I realize it's probably fine but still you never know where these terminals come from.

User avatar
Elrick

04 Mar 2018, 05:44

tron wrote: Should I be concerned about buying an IBM terminal from that region/time period. Am I going to glow green after typing on it for ten minutes :lol:

I realize it's probably fine but still you never know where these terminals come from.
So you're worried about the keyboard being Radioactive :lol: ?

Just get a Radiation detector and you'll be fine. Have two in my house that sometimes I use to gauge how safe some products are, coming out of China and the United States these days.

User avatar
digital_matthew

04 Mar 2018, 17:26

tron wrote:
snuci wrote: Sadly, I think someone is crazy enough to buy one of these at these prices and it won't be to a vintage computer collector who actually needs it...

Vintage IBM Keyboard 3278

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282867822408
https://www.ebay.com/itm/282867813042

Price aside. Should I be concerned about buying an IBM terminal from that region/time period. Am I going to glow green after typing on it for ten minutes :lol:

I realize it's probably fine but still you never know where these terminals come from.
That would explain the melted keys. If only IBM made them out of boron...

Slom

04 Mar 2018, 21:58

suuuuuppper cool clare pendar board:
Image
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Keyboa ... 2870670116
Spoiler:
In a few months I will kick myself for not buying it ...

User avatar
Scarpia

05 Mar 2018, 20:40

digital_matthew wrote:
tron wrote: That would explain the melted keys. If only IBM made them out of boron...

User avatar
III

05 Mar 2018, 21:10


User avatar
Dingster

05 Mar 2018, 21:16

III wrote: Cherry MX Orange! :o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/292472378056
>removed from working console

Why :cry:

User avatar
Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

05 Mar 2018, 21:17

Dingster wrote:
III wrote: Cherry MX Orange! :o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/292472378056
>removed from working console

Why :cry:
Don't worry, the console has been put back together and is still in functioning condition with modern switches. :lol:

User avatar
Iggy

05 Mar 2018, 21:29

Are they any good?

User avatar
Myoth

05 Mar 2018, 21:31

Apparently the same as MX Vint Blacks, they just have a flex factor.

User avatar
Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

05 Mar 2018, 21:34

Maybe because these are extremely clean switches, but I like them better than vintage blacks.

User avatar
Dingster

05 Mar 2018, 21:34

Blaise170 wrote:
Dingster wrote:
III wrote: Cherry MX Orange! :o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/292472378056
>removed from working console

Why :cry:
Don't worry, the console has been put back together and is still in functioning condition with modern switches. :lol:
I feel a little better :lol:

User avatar
Iggy

05 Mar 2018, 21:36

Blaise170 wrote: Maybe because these are extremely clean switches, but I like them better than vintage blacks.
Sounds good. If I had any skills with soldering I would purchase a bunch of those. I only know modern blacks and like those.

User avatar
Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

05 Mar 2018, 21:38

FYI, if anyone here wants those, I'll give you a please-don't-buy-it-from-eBay discount of 33% off.

User avatar
Dingster

05 Mar 2018, 21:53

Iggy wrote:
Blaise170 wrote: Maybe because these are extremely clean switches, but I like them better than vintage blacks.
Sounds good. If I had any skills with soldering I would purchase a bunch of those. I only know modern blacks and like those.
Actual 60% board would cost you as much as a beamspring and a half :lol:

User avatar
j0d1

05 Mar 2018, 23:45

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332576449004

Wow, I bought a keyboard from that guy two weeks ago and it came without a cable... now I know why.

User avatar
snoopy

05 Mar 2018, 23:48

j0d1 wrote: https://www.ebay.com/itm/332576449004

Wow, I bought a keyboard from that guy two weeks ago and it came without a cable... now I know why.
:lol:

and those really don't look new

User avatar
j0d1

06 Mar 2018, 00:00

They don't look bad either though. The keyboard was in great condition (only some marks on the back label, unfortunately).

From the description:
They were found sitting in a long forgotten about storeroom for years along with a bunch of other older Apple/IBM equipment.
Oh well, I had one sitting at home that I bought locally for 10$.

User avatar
Elrick

06 Mar 2018, 00:51

j0d1 wrote: https://www.ebay.com/itm/332576449004

Wow, I bought a keyboard from that guy two weeks ago and it came without a cable... now I know why.
Just as well you didn't buy a car off him. Imagine buying the body only but the Engine and Transmission, you have to pay extra for.

Don't forget of course to leave some nice feedback for the Jerk ;) .

User avatar
FXT
XT

06 Mar 2018, 02:19

I don't think it's that big of a deal. SDL cables are pretty easy to come by. It'd be more like buying a car and the seller hands you the keys and it has an empty tank of gas.

User avatar
Chyros

06 Mar 2018, 07:22

I think Cindy sells them NOS. The nice, black ones, too.

User avatar
pfoff

06 Mar 2018, 11:23

Macboarder found a board, that I ordered for him. It's a really interesting find. We weren't able to find much information about it.
It was made by Multitech(which became Acer) for the Apple ][. Also used for their Apple ][ compatible MPF-III. We both would love to know more about the board and the switches, anyone?-)
Spoiler:
Multitech MAK II
Multitech MAK II
DSC_9386_.JPG (306.06 KiB) Viewed 1045 times
Keycap MAK II
Keycap MAK II
DSC_9395_.JPG (359.73 KiB) Viewed 1045 times
Label MAK II
Label MAK II
DSC_9393_.JPG (543.13 KiB) Viewed 1045 times

User avatar
depletedvespene

06 Mar 2018, 13:36

Chyros wrote: I think Cindy sells them NOS. The nice, black ones, too.
And for less money as well!

User avatar
Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

06 Mar 2018, 19:35

Old Triad Cash Register, apparently with Clare Pendar switches:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200 ... =824&kw=lg

Unisys keyboard with what appears to be foam and foil, though I might be wrong.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200 ... =824&kw=lg

User avatar
Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

06 Mar 2018, 22:14

As a quick aside from the great deals, someone posted my switches on Reddit. People do not seem to like me very much, accusing me of being a highway robber! :lol: The math works out to where I'm making about $1.50 per switch. :?

Post Reply

Return to “Other external”