How the IBM model m13 is holding up today??

zx_spectrum

27 Oct 2018, 18:23

Hello
anyone here has been using an IBM Model M13 as a daily driver ??
i would like to know how sturdy the m13 is if used on daily bases

Myoth

27 Oct 2018, 18:25

well it's an M with a trackpoint, but from what I've heard, the trackpoint has a REALLY low DPI, which seemed to be the main problem I've heard from people who had one.

JP!

27 Oct 2018, 21:23

I am using an M13 currently but the trackpoint is totally worthless for everyday use on my high-res 4k monitor. I don't use the mouse buttons either since the left click on mine has no tactility left after years of use. An M13 is certainly as robust for daily use like any Model M but in some ways is more fragile, especially when shipping or taking it apart. The top case by is lock light area is very fragile as the plastic is thinner than normal.

zx_spectrum

28 Oct 2018, 11:27

actually i was'nt asking about the trackpoint quality i know that it is just crap.
what interests me is the M13 as a model m keyboard.
the thing is after i read this info:
https://wiki.geekhack.org/index.php?title=IBM_Model_M13
i got the impression that they might be even worst than today's Unicomp ones

abrahamstechnology

28 Oct 2018, 22:05

Am I the only one who still uses a 4:3?

Anyway, a problem is that it has pad-printed keycaps which wear off very easily. Since M13s are rare I'd use Unicomp dyesubs on it instead or maybe just get an EnduraPro.

Chyros

28 Oct 2018, 22:18

FWIW, mine's almost as heavy as any standard M. It doesn't feel flimsy at all.

zx_spectrum

29 Oct 2018, 12:47

do you think there is a build-quality difference between MaxiSwitch version and Lemark M13?

Chyros

29 Oct 2018, 13:38

If there is, I don't think it's significant. Seems and feels just like any other Model M to me. It feels better-made than a Unicomp.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

24 Nov 2018, 03:16

I'd agree with this. The M13 was made my Lexmark on the same tooling that Unicomp was using for some time. But I too feel like the latest offerings use a thinner metal plate and thinner plastics.

That GeekHack Wiki page hasn't been edited since 2013.

ThePillenwerfer

24 Nov 2018, 04:30

abrahamstechnology wrote: Am I the only one who still uses a 4:3?
No, I've still got a 4:3 VGA CRT in use.

Return to “Keyboards”