Turn a model m into a fake ssk

anthonymak

06 Mar 2019, 14:25

Hello, my first post on DT. Since ssk is so expensive, an attempt was done to immitate the ssk with an idle blue label. First cut every thing that needed to be shrinked down from 101 into 84 keys. All items were cut with a small hand saw.
The difficult part is the keyboard upper and lower case. Used crazy glue together with baking soda which gives very strong bonds to the cut out parts. The case was then sanded and sprayed a few times to cover the seam. Not perfect but I think it is acceptable. Next is the membrane. Since this was the first time to use copper foil, I needed to redo the traces a few times until they are good and reliable. Photos are attached to show before and after case work. A video was on youtube to show typing test of this fake ssk.
I cannot make the photos in right order. The first photo in the post is actually the last one so on so forth.

https://youtu.be/XgChKffy3p8
Attachments
DAEB40E1-6A4B-41F7-A870-D2CB3915B014.jpeg
DAEB40E1-6A4B-41F7-A870-D2CB3915B014.jpeg (2.26 MiB) Viewed 1867 times
1BD874C2-E0AD-42FA-959E-D90047599A7A.jpeg
1BD874C2-E0AD-42FA-959E-D90047599A7A.jpeg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 1867 times
946AADD8-66C1-47FA-9FAC-3A6B1793B8BC.jpeg
946AADD8-66C1-47FA-9FAC-3A6B1793B8BC.jpeg (2.07 MiB) Viewed 1867 times
8749EF82-8F2E-4B07-B38F-1A1243715019.jpeg
8749EF82-8F2E-4B07-B38F-1A1243715019.jpeg (642.36 KiB) Viewed 1867 times
96561E70-7CCD-40AA-AA17-9529051D4463.jpeg
96561E70-7CCD-40AA-AA17-9529051D4463.jpeg (2.33 MiB) Viewed 1867 times
96750176-9E8C-4C93-8FDF-D2097B8AA044.jpeg
96750176-9E8C-4C93-8FDF-D2097B8AA044.jpeg (650.45 KiB) Viewed 1867 times
F1DEE444-4896-45F0-9F02-AEDA99D8013F.jpeg
F1DEE444-4896-45F0-9F02-AEDA99D8013F.jpeg (2.74 MiB) Viewed 1867 times
A30E0160-A69D-4489-8052-FFF9643DD038.jpeg
A30E0160-A69D-4489-8052-FFF9643DD038.jpeg (2.53 MiB) Viewed 1867 times
2E2EE616-6D8A-4ED3-A975-F7A68976E3E0.jpeg
2E2EE616-6D8A-4ED3-A975-F7A68976E3E0.jpeg (2.24 MiB) Viewed 1867 times
60D202C9-0B53-4844-AFA2-59B1BB628F46.jpeg
60D202C9-0B53-4844-AFA2-59B1BB628F46.jpeg (2.15 MiB) Viewed 1867 times
3125BCFD-53A4-40AD-BDC7-537F004E6587.jpeg
3125BCFD-53A4-40AD-BDC7-537F004E6587.jpeg (2.11 MiB) Viewed 1867 times

Engicoder

06 Mar 2019, 15:05

Nice job. This is one of the better looking cut jobs I have seen.

User avatar
SneakyRobb
THINK

06 Mar 2019, 15:42

Very well done and industrious of you. Looks good. Giving clickclack a run for his money

User avatar
Sup

06 Mar 2019, 16:23

Not bad at all!

User avatar
Chyros

06 Mar 2019, 17:08

Very nicely done! Normally you can see the cut very clearly and it's kinda off-putting, but this is very neat :) .

User avatar
whiffysole

06 Mar 2019, 17:26

Just glancing over the photos I didn't even realize the case was cut! Thought you did a case swap or something :p
This looks great though, I've wanted to try some case mods like this at some point.

John Doe

06 Mar 2019, 18:01

Nice job, I have seen some similar projects but none could make it as perfect as this one.

Best of best so far.

User avatar
PlacaFromHell

06 Mar 2019, 19:36

Amazing! A friend who built his own M122 unsaver just doubled backwards the two pieces of membrane from the numpad.

User avatar
fohat
Elder Messenger

06 Mar 2019, 23:08

I have tried this twice, the first one was a disaster and the second try was marginally successful but not pretty.

Yours is very well done. For the record, the membranes can be folded back and not cut, but the case gets a bit crowded.

Also, I might have had better luck if I had used an earlier model with this type of controller, the later ones rely on a pressure fit that is harder to squeeze into the upper right cavity in the case.
Attachments
525449_10150766657651203_200943501202_11979536_1818886948_n.jpg
525449_10150766657651203_200943501202_11979536_1818886948_n.jpg (90.94 KiB) Viewed 1653 times

anthonymak

08 Mar 2019, 12:39

fohat wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 23:08
I have tried this twice, the first one was a disaster and the second try was marginally successful but not pretty.

Yours is very well done. For the record, the membranes can be folded back and not cut, but the case gets a bit crowded.

Also, I might have had better luck if I had used an earlier model with this type of controller, the later ones rely on a pressure fit that is harder to squeeze into the upper right cavity in the case.
The fold back option is a good alternative but as you said the case will get crowded. not a bad idea tho.

anthonymak

08 Mar 2019, 12:39

PlacaFromHell wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 19:36
Amazing! A friend who built his own M122 unsaver just doubled backwards the two pieces of membrane from the numpad.
Thanks, I see what you mean as fohat mentioned.

anthonymak

08 Mar 2019, 12:40

Chyros wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 17:08
Very nicely done! Normally you can see the cut very clearly and it's kinda off-putting, but this is very neat :) .
Hi Thomas, your big youtube fans here. nice videos.

anthonymak

08 Mar 2019, 12:42

whiffysole wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 17:26
Just glancing over the photos I didn't even realize the case was cut! Thought you did a case swap or something :p
This looks great though, I've wanted to try some case mods like this at some point.
Thanks, would love to see your case mods.

User avatar
Mr.Nobody

13 Mar 2019, 06:35

It always gives me such a pleasure to witness Anthony's masterful modding job.

User avatar
fohat
Elder Messenger

13 Mar 2019, 13:02

A lot of people try this, but my experience has been that it is extremely difficult to get it right, both aesthetically and structurally.

I would recommend against it unless you are both highly skilled and quite patient.

anthonymak

14 Mar 2019, 04:40

fohat wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 13:02
A lot of people try this, but my experience has been that it is extremely difficult to get it right, both aesthetically and structurally.

I would recommend against it unless you are both highly skilled and quite patient.
will you against me for doing it the second time? I want to make a fake kishsaver from a model m. :ugeek:

User avatar
ZedTheMan

14 Mar 2019, 04:44

anthonymak wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 04:40
fohat wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 13:02
A lot of people try this, but my experience has been that it is extremely difficult to get it right, both aesthetically and structurally.

I would recommend against it unless you are both highly skilled and quite patient.
will you against me for doing it the second time? I want to make a fake kishsaver from a model m. :ugeek:
I personally encourage it!

User avatar
fohat
Elder Messenger

14 Mar 2019, 12:55

anthonymak wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 04:40

will you against me for doing it the second time?
No, of course not. Your skill and patience have been proven. I was talking about other people (like myself).

anthonymak

31 Mar 2019, 10:09

a temp mock up kishsaver and way to go with case detail, matrix and controller.
Attachments
ED96DC09-EA04-42FF-BA86-0C62186789C8.jpeg
ED96DC09-EA04-42FF-BA86-0C62186789C8.jpeg (619.1 KiB) Viewed 1048 times

anthonymak

10 Apr 2019, 13:32

check out the newly completed fake kishsaver (or 60% here)

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21538

Post Reply

Return to “Keyboards”