DT Update Log and TODO

matt3o
-[°_°]-

02 Aug 2019, 10:01

Compgeke wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 20:50
Other side of the ocean? You mean the correct side! finally some help
each side is "the other" for ... the other side.

depletedvespene

02 Aug 2019, 13:03

matt3o wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 10:01
Compgeke wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 20:50
Other side of the ocean? You mean the correct side! finally some help
each side is "the other" for ... the other side.
No one should ever forget the words of infinite wisdom from Buckaroo Banzai: no matter where you go, there you are.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

02 Aug 2019, 15:33

I wonder whether the spamming is not in fact targeted at disturbing DT rather than really advertising bizarre websites.

By the way, many thanks to our mod team. Last time I reported spam (a few minutes ago) it disappeared just a few seconds later :D

Compgeke

02 Aug 2019, 17:49

Naw, it's just regular old forum spam. You can dig through the IPs used to find a lot are hits for recent spam waves on forums, rather than being targeted at just us.

The good news is you can notice some trends in IPs to help cut back. A lot of spam was coming from the 5.188.x.x range which is largely used by a hosting provider in St Petersburg. I can't imagine anyone is legitimately posting from an IP block owned by a hosting provider (unless you're using a VPN - in which case you're just a casualty here) so blocking it off enirely helped quite a bit.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

03 Aug 2019, 07:54

Is it possible to change the order of the items in the "Reason" list of the "Report this post" page so as to have "The reported message has the only purpose to advertise for a website or another product" appearing as the default.

It would simplify reporting spam, as one would then simply have to hit the "Submit" button (or the "Enter" key).
Report.png
Report.png (28.15 KiB) Viewed 315 times

Compgeke

06 Aug 2019, 02:13

tbh as a moderator, I don't really care what the reason for the report is. As long as it's flagged, it's enough for me to take a look at the post.

andrewjoy

06 Aug 2019, 11:14

Compgeke wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 02:13
tbh as a moderator, I don't really care what the reason for the report is. As long as it's flagged, it's enough for me to take a look at the post.
Same .

I dont even fill in the ban reason for spam anymore i just leave it blank.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

06 Aug 2019, 12:11

Good to know you all don't care.

And good occasion for me to play the grumpy chocolate bar again.
Spoiler:
If there are rules, they are there for a reason. If there is no reason, get rid of the rule, but do not let everyone choose if they want to abide by the rule or not.

Muirium
µ

06 Aug 2019, 13:25

I agree with the venerable Cadbury.

Would it be much bother for Matteo to just destroy that drop down list or put SPAM as item number one? I submit “whatever the actual fuck I don’t care and I know you don’t too” enter-enter-enter reports as well. But it annoys me every time. Because in this respect, we’re the bad design.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

06 Aug 2019, 13:45

Muirium wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 13:25
I agree with the venerable Cadbury.

Would it be much bother for Matteo to just destroy that drop down list or put SPAM as item number one?
I'll look into it

Muirium
µ

06 Aug 2019, 13:52

Thanks.

The Report this Post page after the ! button is a safety mechanism for false clicks. Phone screens put that very near the " button! I’ve backed out in alarm a few times…

But all we’re ever reporting, again and again, is spam: so it must be the default.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

06 Aug 2019, 15:39

May I add I’m quite pissed off?

I had given up any hope of being heard in that matter when after almost three days, I was at least told it simply doesn’t matter.
But when Mu agreed with me, it took just twenty minutes until…

Oh, well, I’m certainly being unfair. But it sucks.

At least Mu saved my day, gratifying me with a new nickname - and the adjective "venerable" :lol:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

06 Aug 2019, 15:57

kbdfr wrote:
I was going to look into it after your report and before Mu posted his message, I simply replied to his message because I didn't want a horde of people saying "yay I want this feature too!"

andrewjoy

06 Aug 2019, 16:00

kbdfr wrote:
May I add I’m quite pissed off?

I had given up any hope of being heard in that matter when after almost three days, I was at least told it simply doesn’t matter.
But when Mu agreed with me, it took just twenty minutes until…

At least Mu saved my day, gratifying me with a new nickname - and the adjective "venerable" :lol:

Hey man, much love for the tiproman .

I was just pointing out that no matter what the report if its spam it gets the hammer, so dont worry about it if you dont have time to select correct option. If you want to thats cool too.

Muirium
µ

06 Aug 2019, 16:11

Ah, sweet persecution!
That list has been bugging me for ages, too. Surely 90%+ of all reports are for spam, so it absolutely must be the default choice in the list. I don’t think I’ve ever once even used the others!

Searching this thread, I found this proposal I made for a better worded list; which has SPAM as the default item at the top. That report post button truly is Report Spam, after all.

(Looking at the post from January, I’m glad that Anonymous face isn’t still shit stirring here, as far as I can see. He was getting to be a real downer.)

andrewjoy

06 Aug 2019, 16:28

99% of them are set as the default yes :D

kbdfr
The Tiproman

06 Aug 2019, 16:53

matt3o wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 15:57
kbdfr wrote:
I was going to look into it after your report and before Mu posted his message, I simply replied to his message because I didn't want a horde of people saying "yay I want this feature too!"
Acknowledged - I knew I was "certainly being unfair",
but anyway thanks to all for not letting me rant alone and without any echo in my solitary ivory tower :mrgreen:

Return to “Deskthority talk”