Smelly Epson KB03 keyboard - Any advice?

skorpionrazor

09 Aug 2020, 04:08

Hi all!
If this is Not the correct thread to post this please let me know.

I've just bought an old Epson KB03 keyboard and I realized that it has a weird smell similar to a plastic when its burned.
Although the keyboard works great I'd like to remove that smell as much as possible.

After dissasemble it, I see corrosion stains next to the switches.

About the switches: These are SMK 2nd generation wiki/SMK_inverse_cross_mount

I'm pretty sure the smell comes from the PCB because I see yellowed parts over it. I didn't remove the PCB screws yet because I'm afraid to break something.

My question is if any of you guys know if its safe to use a PCB cleaner or if there's a better solution. This is exactly what I have https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SX679_.jpg

Here's the complete album photos: https://imgur.com/a/pUI0Jb9

Thanks!

mode1ace

09 Aug 2020, 12:27

I'd first just try washing the back of the pcb with isopropyl alcohol, but given the amount of rust on that plate, I'm not sure it'll ever be properly nice without desoldering it, washing the pcb fully, wire brushing the plate down, repainting it then reassembling it.

kelvinhall05

09 Aug 2020, 15:56

The flux used on old keyboards smells absolutely terrible. That might be the source of the smell and the yellow crap on the back of the PCB.

JP!

09 Aug 2020, 16:11

skorpionrazor

10 Aug 2020, 07:28

JP! wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 16:11
I thought the same thing while writing the post lol

skorpionrazor

10 Aug 2020, 08:02

mode1ace wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 12:27
I'd first just try washing the back of the pcb with isopropyl alcohol, but given the amount of rust on that plate, I'm not sure it'll ever be properly nice without desoldering it, washing the pcb fully, wire brushing the plate down, repainting it then reassembling it.
ntv242 wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 16:21
kelvinhall05 wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 15:56
The flux used on old keyboards smells absolutely terrible. That might be the source of the smell and the yellow crap on the back of the PCB.
I second Volvo here, i think it is the flux of old keyboard. I have handled a few ataris that are overly oily on the back and smell absolutely disgusting. Iso 99% might help, but it is very sticky and hard to get rid of really. I would say do a small project of completely restoring this keyboard by desoldering, cleaning pcb, and repaint the plate. It would certainly help.
Thanks for the comments all. Writing this post using the smelly keyboard :mrgreen:
After thinking about it, I used the PCB cleaner because I don't have isopropyl alcohol (buying it soon) very carefully putting kitchen papers on every hole to prevent cleaner dropping into the switches. Here's a pic.

Fortunately it worked quite fine, the smell is there, But it's not that bad like it was before cleaning.
About the full restoration you mention in order to get rid of it and all the rust: It sounds really difficult But I'd like to try it once I have all I need to do it. Definitely want to do it someday.

I also realized that LEDs don't work, so I may start trying to fix that

Here's the "final" result so far:

I'm pretty sure the switches need just a bit of lube and I need to know how to do it but that's maybe for a different topic.

Thanks all for your comments!

mode1ace

10 Aug 2020, 08:34

That looks like a really good improvement!

Carefully running a vacuum over the top of the switches may help a bit for the other side, and using a small paintbrush to just clean up around the switches will make it a lot cleaner looking, then use an airduster once that dirt is loose. An airduster alone is rubbish, but brushing with one works wonders.

SMK switches are a complete nightmare to open up, so I'd be hesitant to dab lube on the slider from the top.

skorpionrazor

11 Aug 2020, 06:57

mode1ace wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 08:34
That looks like a really good improvement!

Carefully running a vacuum over the top of the switches may help a bit for the other side, and using a small paintbrush to just clean up around the switches will make it a lot cleaner looking, then use an airduster once that dirt is loose. An airduster alone is rubbish, but brushing with one works wonders.

SMK switches are a complete nightmare to open up, so I'd be hesitant to dab lube on the slider from the top.
Thanks for the advice!
I've heard the same about these switches so definitely not opening them up. I never lubed any keyboard but if its possible to do it on this without dismantling the switches I can definitely try, otherwise I'll just clean the switches as much as i can with an airduster and paintbrush as you mentioned.

Return to “Keyboards”