IBM 5120 (aka 5110-3) - Beam spring keyboard

snuci
Vintage computer guy

23 Feb 2016, 04:11

I bought this IBM 5120 on eBay for $99 plus shipping and it looked to be in rough shape. There were scuffs and scrapes and really looked like a disaster but I know these cases and they are tough! Below are some pics of this computer including the beam spring keyboard. Yo will notice it's on a cart. That thing weights 45kgs or just a hair under 100 lbs. It was packed immaculately.

It turns out that while the rubber membrane looked tattered and could fall apart at any time, I decided to not remove the membrane and proceeded not to move the keyboard too much so it would stay intact. The sides look demolished because they were stuck to the top plate and that cause it to rip. I am also missing one key cap (a 2u "0") so this area was also damaged but the rubber membrane cleaned up pretty well. I find that the key caps fit on better with the rubber membrane.

Here are the results:

Out of order but needed for the topic pic:
IBM 5120 - clean keyboard
IBM 5120 - clean keyboard
IBM 5120 - clean keyboard.jpg (315.76 KiB) Viewed 4809 times
How it arrived:
IBM 5120 - as was unboxed
IBM 5120 - as was unboxed
IBM 5120 - as was unboxed.jpg (316.91 KiB) Viewed 4809 times
IBM 5120 - newly arrived and dirty
IBM 5120 - newly arrived and dirty
IBM 5120 - newly arrived and dirty.JPG (326.63 KiB) Viewed 4809 times
IBM 5120 - new arrival front view
IBM 5120 - new arrival front view
IBM 5120 - new arrival front view.JPG (312.22 KiB) Viewed 4809 times
IBM 5120 - keyboard
IBM 5120 - keyboard
IBM 5120 - keyboard.JPG (347.08 KiB) Viewed 4809 times
After cleaning, membrane was also lightly brushed and indirectly vacuumed. Hard brushing or direct vacuuming would have made the membrane disintegrate.
IBM 5120 - keyboard membrane with caps removed
IBM 5120 - keyboard membrane with caps removed
IBM 5120 - keyboard membrane with caps removed.JPG (325.3 KiB) Viewed 4809 times
IBM 5120 - keyboard membrane close up
IBM 5120 - keyboard membrane close up
IBM 5120 - keyboard membrane close up .JPG (365.72 KiB) Viewed 4809 times
IBM 5120 - keyboard membrane top view
IBM 5120 - keyboard membrane top view
IBM 5120 - keyboard membrane top view.JPG (417.54 KiB) Viewed 4809 times
IBM 5120 - key caps cleaned and installed
IBM 5120 - key caps cleaned and installed
IBM 5120 - key caps cleaned and installed.JPG (336.44 KiB) Viewed 4809 times
End Result:
IBM 5120 - cleaned end result
IBM 5120 - cleaned end result
IBM 5120 - cleaned end result.JPG (264.25 KiB) Viewed 4809 times

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

23 Feb 2016, 04:38

Holy crap it looks brand new. All you need is that extra cap.

I must ask, how much did shipping cost?

scottc

23 Feb 2016, 10:56

Great work. I've got a load of tripleshot J/4 1.0 unit keycaps spare, if you'd like one to cover your missing key then let me know.

terrycherry

23 Feb 2016, 13:10

Nice found with nice price! Take a deep clean on this vintage.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

23 Feb 2016, 13:44

Shipping was about $150 which, I thought, was cheap. The box was pretty big and I am surprised USPS and Canada Post would send it.

As for the missing key cap, I was thinking about another keyboard. It's missing a "Shift" key that is the same size as the one one the left. If anyone has one similar, I'd love to have it. I'll have to see if Cherry mounts would work. Thanks for offering scottc!

Halvar

23 Feb 2016, 13:52

It's a very nice piece you got there. The PC before the PC. What's not to love about the keyboard, the two 8'' floppy drives and the IBM power switch (I remember the original IBM PC to have a similar switch). I wish I had that kind of space.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

23 Feb 2016, 13:54

snuci wrote: Shipping was about $150 which, I thought, was cheap.
:o

Very nice find snuci, I can imagine it being "slightly" heavy by today's standards.

bocahgundul
Sell me 5k please

23 Feb 2016, 14:01

That is a really beautiful board! Can you use it in a modern pc? and how is the feel of beam springs? I keep hearing that they feels really glorious!

snuci
Vintage computer guy

23 Feb 2016, 14:16

Not sure if it can be used with a PC. I don't know if the xwhatsit board will work. I do need to get one of those soon.

On GH, I posted how a beam spring feels compared to a model F...

A model M to Model F is like comparing a spartan apple to a mcintosh apple. Similar but they have their own attributes that make them different from each other.

A Model F compared to a Beam spring is like comparing a mcintosh apple to an orange. Other than the brand name, they are completely different.

Most people know what a Model M or perhaps F feels like. It has some resistance when you press the key until the spring buckles, somewhere near the mid point of the key travel path. As you continue to press, there is a loss of built up resistance and then a small build up of resistance on the way down until you bottom out because the buckled internal spring is there to provide it. The internal spring then forces the key cap up. The Model M and Model F have varying resistance at the top and bottom end and this is what's compared, for the most part.

The beam spring is almost no resistance on the top and bottom ends but the "buckle" is akin to cracking a very very fine eggshell as you press down. This is very high up on the key travel path. When the egg shell "shatters", there is the slightest hint of resistance on the way down as the metal mechanism bulges within the key switch but it is almost unnoticed. The external spring then guides the key cap back into place with more force than the Model M/F. Every time you press a key, you are cracking a new ultra thin eggshell.

It's not a perfect description but it shows you a comparison of the Model M/F and beam spring, for the most part. Beam spring is pretty cool but I haven't typed out any memos on one :)

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

23 Feb 2016, 23:12

Meh, not bad.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

23 Feb 2016, 23:33

vivalarevolución wrote: Meh, not bad.
The computer/keyboard or the description? You can "dis" my description (I welcome a better one) but you can't "dis" the computer. It is the computer before the computer before the IBM PC (model 5150). There was actually an IBM System/23 Datamaster wedged in the timeline that was very similar but had a Model F keyboard. More info here.

bocahgundul
Sell me 5k please

24 Feb 2016, 00:08

snuci wrote: Not sure if it can be used with a PC. I don't know if the xwhatsit board will work. I do need to get one of those soon.

On GH, I posted how a beam spring feels compared to a model F...

A model M to Model F is like comparing a spartan apple to a mcintosh apple. Similar but they have their own attributes that make them different from each other.

A Model F compared to a Beam spring is like comparing a mcintosh apple to an orange. Other than the brand name, they are completely different.

Most people know what a Model M or perhaps F feels like. It has some resistance when you press the key until the spring buckles, somewhere near the mid point of the key travel path. As you continue to press, there is a loss of built up resistance and then a small build up of resistance on the way down until you bottom out because the buckled internal spring is there to provide it. The internal spring then forces the key cap up. The Model M and Model F have varying resistance at the top and bottom end and this is what's compared, for the most part.

The beam spring is almost no resistance on the top and bottom ends but the "buckle" is akin to cracking a very very fine eggshell as you press down. This is very high up on the key travel path. When the egg shell "shatters", there is the slightest hint of resistance on the way down as the metal mechanism bulges within the key switch but it is almost unnoticed. The external spring then guides the key cap back into place with more force than the Model M/F. Every time you press a key, you are cracking a new ultra thin eggshell.

It's not a perfect description but it shows you a comparison of the Model M/F and beam spring, for the most part. Beam spring is pretty cool but I haven't typed out any memos on one :)
Man I've never try model m and model f and boy I want to try it. beam springs must be really awesome!

snuci
Vintage computer guy

01 Mar 2016, 13:19

Quick update:

With a single missing "Shift" key, I will take a shot at these IBM Selectric key caps to see if I can replace both of the shift keys. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/272139503385

The IBM 5120 had symbolic arrows but the Selectric had the word "Shift" printed on it. I will have to replace both or it will look funny. I THINK they will fit.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

01 Mar 2016, 15:27

Hope it fits :)

Return to “Gallery”