Awesome work find - Glidepoint rack keyboard w/ Alps

rpgoof

31 Aug 2016, 03:08

. .
Last edited by rpgoof on 12 Jan 2022, 04:52, edited 1 time in total.

keycap

31 Aug 2016, 03:38

It's almost guaranteed to have Simplified Alps/Alps clones if Windows keys are present, with the exception of the Dell AT101W. If the switch has 4 tabs on it, like this, it's definitely a clone:
But from what I can tell, the switches don't seem to have these 4 tabs. Very likely Simplified White Alps, maybe even Complicated White Alps if you're lucky. But the only way to be sure is to open up one of the switches.

It's still a nice find either way. These rack-mount keyboards don't show up that often on eBay, but I have seen them once or twice before. What's very nice about this find is that it seems to be in extremely good condition, and condition means everything when it comes to Alps switches. With Alps, the condition of the keyboard is often times much more important than the variant of switches themselves, unless the switches are rare. So you definitely got lucky in that regard.

Chyros

31 Aug 2016, 04:14

Judging by the mould markings and the opacity of the slider, SKBM white.

rpgoof

31 Aug 2016, 04:15

. .
Last edited by rpgoof on 12 Jan 2022, 04:52, edited 1 time in total.

keycap

31 Aug 2016, 04:19

Those Yellow Alps are definitely clones, but yeah, the upside-down Alps logo and two-tabs are a dead giveaway for simplified White Alps.

ohaimark
Kingpin

31 Aug 2016, 04:21

Yup, SKBM Whites. Note the lack of slits in the upper shell. I'd peg your 'boards around $40 to $50 per unit in terms of value, which mostly stems from the form factor and touch pad. The switches aren't as valuable as SKCM Whites, and Whites aren't sought after to begin with.

emdude
Model M Apologist

31 Aug 2016, 05:40

Very interesting. I was actually reading up on the SKBM/SKBL series earlier today; I find it fascinating that this board was like the old Matias Tactile Pros, that while they used genuine SKBM switches, they also used linear clones for the lock keys because apparently none of Forward's SKBL switch offerings had LED cutouts.

Return to “Keyboards”