Worst modern keyboard layout?

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

30 Dec 2017, 18:07

In my opinion, this is a pretty strong candidate:

Bonus extra pain if you're Italian or use Italian layout.

depletedvespene

30 Dec 2017, 19:56

That wide Q is unforgivable. Even more so than the unusable, too small three keys to the right of P and L... but not as much as the absurdly thin 1.

The arrow cluster, however...

I can't wait for the nightmares to come for both the Spanish and German versions of this atrocity, while we're at it.

Vecktrex

30 Dec 2017, 20:05

Given how I'm forced to use Chromebooks and I use the arrow keys a lot - the Dell Chromebook keyboard is certainly up there. The heck is it with that placement!?
Spoiler:
The keyboard itself never fails to have my fingertips hurting by the end of the day with how hard I press the keys. Typing on buckling springs and Alps white have their drawbacks when forced to use other keyboards... I've brought in a Cherry ML 4100 some days just to have a slightly less atrocious keyboard.

depletedvespene

30 Dec 2017, 20:35

Vecktrex wrote: Given how I'm forced to use Chromebooks and I use the arrow keys a lot - the Dell Chromebook keyboard is certainly up there. The heck is it with that placement!?
Never mind the arrows. Is that the Power button right on top of Backspace???

depletedvespene

30 Dec 2017, 20:39

Also, those "semifused" Enter keys have become rather common on the cheaper laptops currently for sale (although on the ISO arrangement, not ANSI). They bother me A LOT more than they should.

Vecktrex

30 Dec 2017, 20:47

depletedvespene wrote:
Vecktrex wrote: Given how I'm forced to use Chromebooks and I use the arrow keys a lot - the Dell Chromebook keyboard is certainly up there. The heck is it with that placement!?
Never mind the arrows. Is that the Power button right on top of Backspace???
I can't count the number of times that I have accidentally turned the Chromebook off because of that power button placement. I've grown used to it so I've stopped turning it off on a regular basis, but it still happens every now and then. It's infuriating to be in the middle of writing up a document, make a typo or mistake, backspa- Oh. It's off. Thanks Dell engineers!

codemonkeymike

30 Dec 2017, 22:39

I really cant top these as some of the worst layouts I have seen, my sister did have a couple chrome books and I agree they have really shit layouts.

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

31 Dec 2017, 00:11

depletedvespene wrote: That wide Q is unforgivable. Even more so than the unusable, too small three keys to the right of P and L... but not as much as the absurdly thin 1.
Another majestic feature is that the letters è, à, and ò are on the main layer, ù and ì are on the second layer.
Typing on this thing is probably a nightmare.
(I didn't even bother to try.)

depletedvespene

31 Dec 2017, 01:06

But you DO have a (small) Caps key! Vecktrex doesn't even have that!

Vecktrex

31 Dec 2017, 01:42

codemonkeymike wrote: I really cant top these as some of the worst layouts I have seen, my sister did have a couple chrome books and I agree they have really shit layouts.
Most of them lack function keys, which I use often. The Dell Chromebook I use dosen't even have an extra key for functions. I've devised a pretty simple, but elegant solution
Spoiler:

depletedvespene

31 Dec 2017, 02:07

I posted a similar picture on reddit a few months ago... but it was a joke. :?

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyb ... his_right/

Vecktrex

31 Dec 2017, 02:18

depletedvespene wrote: I posted a similar picture on reddit a few months ago... but it was a joke. :?

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyb ... his_right/
It was taken for the joke of it, brought it in cause my computer science teacher and I were talking about old keyboards. The Pok3r is alright, but my preferred small keyboard at the moment is a Cherry ML 4100. This is how you do a small layout.
Spoiler:

Return to “Keyboards”