NEC PC-8801 in black

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

29 Mar 2018, 19:43

Just got this yesterday from Yahoo! Japan! Since I'm super excited about it I thought that I would share some pics of it!

I knew it would be blue alps, because I had never seen a "Type A" without them. Though, I had never seen a black version before, which is why I jumped at this one! Looks like the connector is PS/2 - but I don't think it actually is. Has anyone figured out how to make one of these to work with a modern computer?
Last edited by //gainsborough on 29 Mar 2018, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

29 Mar 2018, 19:46

I've seen these handwired numerous times before, but I don't believe there is any protocol converter for it as of yet. I have three of the standard beige myself. I had no idea a black version of these existed! Great find.

P.S. This is the first keyboard in a long time that I'm actually adding to my want list. :)

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

29 Mar 2018, 21:33

yeah man - it's pretty awesome. This board is in excellent condition as well! Caps need to be bathed, but other than that it's awesome!

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

29 Mar 2018, 21:34

Do you mind taking a picture of the label on the cover by the way? I've been looking to see if I can figure out who made those covers for a long time and haven't figured it out yet. I did see a manufacturer on one that I just received but I'm not sure if it was an aftermarket, OEM, etc. I've only see these covers come from Japan too, which is especially curious.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

29 Mar 2018, 21:48

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

29 Mar 2018, 21:51

Hm looks like these things were probably aftermarket then. I haven't seen two from the same company yet. The mystery deepens.

chip chop

29 Mar 2018, 23:05

The PC-98 seems to have the same connector, seem to remeber that Hasu has a converter for the PC-98, Might be worth dropping him a email.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

29 Mar 2018, 23:08

chip chop wrote: The PC-98 seems to have the same connector, seem to remeber that Hasu has a converter for the PC-98, Might be worth dropping him a email.
Will do! Thanks man!

Brett MacK

29 Mar 2018, 23:12

Yeah that is probably the coolest blue alps board out there! Awesome find! I hope you can figure out a way to convert it.

JP!

29 Mar 2018, 23:56

Whoa! Nice one.

idlethock

30 Mar 2018, 00:07

Beautiful looking board. The gold lettering on black of that cover gives it such character. :)

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

02 Apr 2018, 16:09

Good find!

lucar

19 Jun 2018, 09:31

Hi!

we have the same problem , converting an 8801.
If You find anything please post here. I'm afraid a Teensy 2 ++ , TMK and swapping the controller is the way to go...

Here is mine

I dropped more pictures in this post
workshop-f7/nec-pc-8801-davey-s-first-b ... 19136.html

Luca

Chyros

19 Jun 2018, 10:26

Mother titfuck.

That's gorgeous =o .

Return to “Gallery”