Keyboards in movies/TV series!

vometia
irritant

24 Jul 2019, 12:20

Apologies for resurrecting a rather old post, just looking through this topic for the first time!
Muirium wrote:
31 Jan 2015, 00:38
To be fair, Amigas and green text on black screens is pretty hypermodern as far as the Red Dwarf universe goes. They often used to punch commands into vertical keyboards attached the walls, as I remember. Which was all odd, given Holly the AI and all that. Seemed a comic cross of 2001 and Alien as far as the tech aesthetic went, only more screwed up than either!
ISTR (from memory of the programme and from my office 30 years ago, and without actually checking either of them...) that most of the keyboards on Red Dwarf, the brown, wall-mounted ones, appeared to be from Philips P4000 terminals; or possibly P7000s, which looked similar but were probably completely different. I never used either computer, the P4000 being some strange 16-bit multi-user mini that had a fondness for Cobol. The keyboards looked dreadful to type on, very flat and short-travel, sort of a forerunner of the Apple type; but they were also incredibly heavy, made of some sort of die-cast alloy covered in the usual range of beige and brown paint that was popular a good 10 years or so before my time there. They do have quite a cool aesthetic but I think I'd have lost the will to live if I'd had to work on them!

mr_a500

24 Jul 2019, 12:40

Here's a Teletype Model 40 keyboard in Runaway (1984):
Teletype in Runaway.jpg
Teletype in Runaway.jpg (64.06 KiB) Viewed 772 times
vometia wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 12:20
They do have quite a cool aesthetic but I think I'd have lost the will to live if I'd had to work on them!
There are many keyboards I've been forced to use that made me lose the will to live. (and a few I nearly smashed in violent anger)

vometia
irritant

24 Jul 2019, 19:06

mr_a500 wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 12:40
There are many keyboards I've been forced to use that made me lose the will to live. (and a few I nearly smashed in violent anger)
The ZX81-style controls on Hieronymus, our Bosch washing machine, drive me absolutely nuts. He's actually really good and at over 10 years old has lasted pretty well, especially as thanks to the "helpful" green restrictions we have to run him twice for each load, the second one to actually properly rinse the stuff. But that's not his fault.

What is annoying is the fact that I need to press the "do something, dammit!" button at least four times before he gets the message. Even speaking as someone who is the real life equivalent of that before finally going "oh yeah!" I find it intensely irritating. Fortunately, washing machines tend to be weighed down by hefty lumps of concrete so there isn't too much risk of me throwing him out the window in a fit of pique.

mr_a500

24 Jul 2019, 20:01

Ah yes. My ZX81-style stove controls are similar. If I press the "do something, dammit!" button slightly too hard, it does a double-press and gives an error sound - like it's saying, "No, fuck off and do it again!"

I hate that stove.

Muirium
µ

24 Jul 2019, 21:28

Bounce: the scourge of the universe.

Well, for buttons.

Return to “Gallery”