Stuff you just bought

User avatar
Scarpia

17 Jan 2021, 17:57

Went to a liquidation sale of a four story technical museum today, unfortunately it was the second day so much of the best stuff was long gone. Don’t think there was anything keyboard related anyway.

Still, managed to get this Odhner calculator (arithmometer) from 1927-29 for less than $25 (found out they go for >$300 online :-O guess I made a good deal!)

Apologies for the potato pic:
748164BB-09B3-4D41-9208-8E28CEE48FF4.jpeg
748164BB-09B3-4D41-9208-8E28CEE48FF4.jpeg (281.96 KiB) Viewed 1328 times

Rayndalf

18 Jan 2021, 09:40

Scarpia wrote:
17 Jan 2021, 17:57
Went to a liquidation sale of a four story technical museum today, unfortunately it was the second day so much of the best stuff was long gone. Don’t think there was anything keyboard related anyway.

Still, managed to get this Odhner calculator (arithmometer) from 1927-29 for less than $25 (found out they go for >$300 online :-O guess I made a good deal!)

Apologies for the potato pic:

748164BB-09B3-4D41-9208-8E28CEE48FF4.jpeg
That's a really nice piece. Old adding machines are really cool, especially when they've been maintained (the old linkages and stuff are hell to work on).

I recently (a few hours ago) found an old typewriter by a local dumpster. Not quite as cool, and needs a little work, but I can't complain for the price.

The thing weighs a ton, with lots of cast iron and lined with felt. My hands were still pretty tired when I took the first pic.
Attachments
20210117_223948.jpg
20210117_223948.jpg (2.37 MiB) Viewed 1245 times
20210117_210548.jpg
20210117_210548.jpg (2.48 MiB) Viewed 1245 times

John Doe

24 Jan 2021, 12:24

Micro Switch SD-16574, converted.
AC73AE1D-8A36-4004-9F99-A0663F3877C7.jpeg
AC73AE1D-8A36-4004-9F99-A0663F3877C7.jpeg (559.81 KiB) Viewed 1034 times

User avatar
zrrion

28 Jan 2021, 21:52

Just ordered these:
Image

Image

Facitman was very kind in providing documentation for them (they are rebrands of Facit machines as far as I can tell) so I have a list of strong possibilities but still don't know for sure what they will have. Regardless of what they have I really like the layout and the look of the caps is very good (though there are even nicer looking ones) so basically no matter what these will be cool.

User avatar
hellothere

07 Feb 2021, 03:12

I'll just link to the wiki. Better pics, although my keyboard is in similarly good shape. Seijin Electron EAT-1010 badged "6000SX by Leading Technology Inc." Futaba MA clicky. Chyros did a couple videos on the switches ("Mmmm. Hmmm. Yummy. It is yummy").

Chyros' typing demo sounds a ton higher pitched than the one I have. It's about as loud and bassy as my Kailh Box Jades. It also almost feels like I have a solenoid in the case.

Keycaps are thick double-shot inverse cross mount, as in the the Wiki. It also has this great font that's possibly bold Helvetica. Slashes through both of the zeros.

So far, it's a pretty nice driver. However the back side (south side) of the spacebar is very high and that's getting a tad painful. It's not like I can go out and just buy another spacebar for this thing, so I'll see if I can adjust my typing to the keyboard.

User avatar
Touch_It

22 Feb 2021, 07:25

Bought on a whim. Had been wanting to own a topre board without the price and mx stems and the price sold me.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210222-002148_Woot.jpg
Screenshot_20210222-002148_Woot.jpg (508.99 KiB) Viewed 429 times

Jan Pospisil

22 Feb 2021, 08:49

Ghnnn, I've been holding out on buying that exact one. I do love the idea of the switch, its sound etc. But I really really hate the modern case height with exposed switches at the bottom. (also the silver thing...)

xxhellfirexx

22 Feb 2021, 09:47

hellothere wrote:
07 Feb 2021, 03:12
So far, it's a pretty nice driver. However the back side (south side) of the spacebar is very high and that's getting a tad painful. It's not like I can go out and just buy another spacebar for this thing, so I'll see if I can adjust my typing to the keyboard.
Is flipping the spacebar an option? I had the same problem with my NMB and doing that made a huge difference.

User avatar
Muirium
µ

22 Feb 2021, 10:04

Well, if you flip it, you will be *judged*. So bear that in mind!
Jan Pospisil wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 08:49
Ghnnn, I've been holding out on buying that exact one. I do love the idea of the switch, its sound etc. But I really really hate the modern case height with exposed switches at the bottom. (also the silver thing...)
At that price, very tasty indeed! Costs a good bit more over here, and then there's getting held up at imports…

I've never actually tried a Topre clone myself. But from the NovaTouch experience, I can tell you the feel can get messed up really easily by design details. CM and Topre teamed up on that board, and it just wasn't right. The cloners better know what they're doing!

But, again, that price is worth a peek.

User avatar
Scarpia

22 Feb 2021, 11:26

I bought a ‘Nopre’ board a few years back and used it as my daily driver for a long time — a nice cherry-compatible TKL branded as Royal Kludge RC930-87.

I don’t know about any of the other Topre clones, but this one was pretty great, especially since I could dress it up with nice keycaps like Dolch DSAs:

Image

User avatar
hellothere

23 Feb 2021, 00:23

xxhellfirexx wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 09:47
hellothere wrote:
07 Feb 2021, 03:12
So far, it's a pretty nice driver. However the back side (south side) of the spacebar is very high and that's getting a tad painful. It's not like I can go out and just buy another spacebar for this thing, so I'll see if I can adjust my typing to the keyboard.
Is flipping the spacebar an option? I had the same problem with my NMB and doing that made a huge difference.
B...But I'll be judged!

The most accurate answer is "I don't know." I took it out of service because I finished up a AEK II that I installed orange Alps in and wanted to make sure all the keys were working right. I do remember that the last several keyboards I worked on had a pillar to the left (west) of the switch, so you couldn't flip the spacebar. I don't know why companies don't/didn't standardize on just rounded edges. That sounds like it'd be an easy solution. Well, screws for the case would be logical, too ...

User avatar
Touch_It

24 Feb 2021, 17:19

Muirium wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 10:04
Well, if you flip it, you will be *judged*. So bear that in mind!
Jan Pospisil wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 08:49
Ghnnn, I've been holding out on buying that exact one. I do love the idea of the switch, its sound etc. But I really really hate the modern case height with exposed switches at the bottom. (also the silver thing...)
At that price, very tasty indeed! Costs a good bit more over here, and then there's getting held up at imports…

I've never actually tried a Topre clone myself. But from the NovaTouch experience, I can tell you the feel can get messed up really easily by design details. CM and Topre teamed up on that board, and it just wasn't right. The cloners better know what they're doing!

But, again, that price is worth a peek.
Chyros actually did a review of the tkl version of this board 10 months ago, though i think it was the v1. He spoke of it favorably when compared to realforce boards. I'll get the board tonight. Excited to test it out. My only other topre exp was on a type heaven 4 years ago.

User avatar
XMIT
[ XMIT ]

24 Feb 2021, 17:36

I like to think I coined the term "Nopre". I thought I came up with it independently but maybe I heard it from someone else. I was using this term in 2016.

The key was to do a 55g Korean dome swap, and try to find a board with the revision two polycarbonate (crystal clear) sliders. They were much smoother. My nicest "Nopre" boards are on the level with a Realforce RGB.

In fact I brought my nicest board to HaaTa himself and we got a force curve on it.

https://chart-studio.plotly.com/~haata/573

Image

Post Reply

Return to “News”