Great/Interesting Finds

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

16 Sep 2016, 18:03

Chyros wrote:
Hypersphere wrote: ISO Focus 2001 White Alps

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Focus-FK2001-Me ... SwNRdX2e7m
Oh jeez, what a mindfuck Oo . If there is an ISO FK-2001, what is the FK-2002? :lol:
:lol: You know damn well what it is. This is the FK-2002 to get BTW:

wiki/Focus_FK-2002

:maverick:

Now if you manage to find a FK-2003 that would impress me! :lol: But it must have an unknown super rare SKCM varaint!

Chyros

16 Sep 2016, 18:26

seebart wrote:
Chyros wrote:
Hypersphere wrote: ISO Focus 2001 White Alps

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Focus-FK2001-Me ... SwNRdX2e7m
Oh jeez, what a mindfuck Oo . If there is an ISO FK-2001, what is the FK-2002? :lol:
:lol: You know damn well what it is.
No really, look at it. It's a US-ISO board and it has the 2001 badge AND label and everything Oo . What the fuck were Focus doing now?! :shock:

seebart

16 Sep 2016, 18:33

Oh shit you're right! But it's more like a ANSI - ISO hybrid mix. Enter is ISO. Tiny left shift is ISO but with a blank key next to it! :shock: Quite strange. But no "ÖÄÜ" or Euro counterpart. This strangeness actually makes this one more valuable.

Darkshado

16 Sep 2016, 19:42

Seebart, also notice: the ~ ` key in the upper left comes from an ANSI board also has a different shade while the |\ key would have been sourced in an UK ISO set and usually placed next to the small left shift.

seebart

16 Sep 2016, 19:52

Darkshado wrote: Seebart, also notice: the ~ ` key in the upper left comes from an ANSI board also has a different shade while the |\ key would have been sourced in an UK ISO set and usually placed next to the small left shift.
That's right, my guess is someone did some keycap swapping. I doubt Focus Electronics shipped this FK-2001 like that.

dokyun

16 Sep 2016, 20:33

Monterey K104 (got the seller to take off a cap, white monterey)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Monterey-V ... 1968111656

Hypersphere

16 Sep 2016, 21:39

Nan Tan KB6151EN

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Nan-Tan ... SwmLlX3EE3

The description says "white Alps", but according to the DT wiki, if this were the case, the model number should be "KB6151EA". This one ought to be Alps OA2.

Could someone point out the differences between SKCM white Alps and white OA2 Alps?

The board seems pricey at 99.99 USD plus extra for shipping, but I am not familiar with white OA2 Alps switches.

Slom

16 Sep 2016, 22:02

Does anyone know whats in these:

old Philips keyboard
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Philips-PC-Tasta ... 2131910200

alps branded keyboard
http://www.ebay.de/itm/ALPS-Computer-Ta ... 2131880817

seebart

16 Sep 2016, 22:43

Slom wrote: Does anyone know whats in these:

old Philips keyboard
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Philips-PC-Tasta ... 2131910200

alps branded keyboard
http://www.ebay.de/itm/ALPS-Computer-Ta ... 2131880817
I asked the seller about that Phillips and he does not know and there is no label on it. The alps branded keyboard is the ICL One Per Desk with Alps semi-integrated domes. Not a switch you want to type on for long. :roll:

wiki/ICL_One_Per_Desk

wiki/Alps_semi-integrated_dome

Chyros

16 Sep 2016, 22:49

seebart wrote:
Darkshado wrote: Seebart, also notice: the ~ ` key in the upper left comes from an ANSI board also has a different shade while the |\ key would have been sourced in an UK ISO set and usually placed next to the small left shift.
That's right, my guess is someone did some keycap swapping. I doubt Focus Electronics shipped this FK-2001 like that.
It still has an ISO enter though, you can't just keycap swap that. Whatever it is, it's weird, and definitely not a normal 2001.

seebart

16 Sep 2016, 22:53

Chyros wrote:
seebart wrote:
It still has an ISO enter though, you can't just keycap swap that. Whatever it is, it's weird, and definitely not a normal 2001.
It could also be a FRANKEN FK-2001/2002 where someone also swapped the case and some keycaps.

y11971alex

16 Sep 2016, 22:53

Is it possible for me to swap a short left shift for a long one on a 122-key terminal board by simply plucking out the spring under the [><] key and sticking the new one? Or would the flipper itself need to be removed as well?

fohat
Elder Messenger

16 Sep 2016, 23:35

y11971alex wrote:
Is it possible for me to swap a short left shift for a long one on a 122-key terminal board by simply plucking out the spring under the [><] key and sticking the new one? Or would the flipper itself need to be removed as well?
If you are talking about an IBM, you will have to separate the layers to add a pivot plate/spring assembly (aka "flipper") in the spot you want to activate. To deactivate one, you will also have to take them apart because if you leave the pivot plate ("foot") inside it will just rattle around in the down position.

y11971alex

16 Sep 2016, 23:46

fohat wrote:
y11971alex wrote:
If you are talking about an IBM, you will have to separate the layers to add a pivot plate/spring assembly (aka "flipper") in the spot you want to activate. To deactivate one, you will also have to take them apart because if you leave the pivot plate ("foot") inside it will just rattle around in the down position.
I am talking about an IBM. Can I simply soarer it to ignore that position?

fohat
Elder Messenger

17 Sep 2016, 00:08

y11971alex wrote:
I am talking about an IBM. Can I simply soarer it to ignore that position?
Interesting question. No idea what the answer is.

Also, assuming that you are putting an insert sleeve into the now-empty barrel, you may have to shave some length off the bottom so that it is not jammed onto the top of the now-defunct foot. If you are pushing it in and out from the top while you experiment, be sure that you don't scar the inside of the hole for the peg, or you might create friction.

BinaryHalibut

17 Sep 2016, 02:09

Soarer can ignore it: just map it to UNASSIGNED.

You could also just leave the key in place and just map it to shift in soarer.

Chyros

17 Sep 2016, 13:35

seebart wrote: It could also be a FRANKEN FK-2001/2002 where someone also swapped the case and some keycaps.
No way, man. Look how correct all the caps are. All the caps would have been perfectly swapped for US ones, and the |\ and blank keys look like they're in perfect profile, which they wouldn't have been if they came from a 2002. Moreover, apart from the ~` key, they're all the same shade. The blank key isn't even on any Focus keyboard, or any Alps-mount board that I know of, in fact. Moreover, it's in the US, not in Europe. Besides, why would anyone do a case swap between a 2001 and a 2002? All it would change is the label on the back.

No question about it, that board's genuine.

alh84001
v.001

17 Sep 2016, 14:05

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371736878478

An SSK that could definitely use a restoration. Ask the seller about missing rivets, because I imagine there are at least a couple that have fallen off.

seebart

17 Sep 2016, 22:09

Chyros wrote:
seebart wrote: It could also be a FRANKEN FK-2001/2002 where someone also swapped the case and some keycaps.
No way, man. Look how correct all the caps are. All the caps would have been perfectly swapped for US ones, and the |\ and blank keys look like they're in perfect profile, which they wouldn't have been if they came from a 2002. Moreover, apart from the ~` key, they're all the same shade. The blank key isn't even on any Focus keyboard, or any Alps-mount board that I know of, in fact. Moreover, it's in the US, not in Europe. Besides, why would anyone do a case swap between a 2001 and a 2002? All it would change is the label on the back.

No I don't think so. The fact that the " ~`" keycap is yellowed and it's the only key that is yellowed says it all. I have seen blank Alps-mount keycaps, just not on the FK-2001. And if this is board is genuine, what is this layout called then and why have we never ever seen anything like it? It's FRANKEN. Of course one can swap the entire case on the FK-2001. :? What pisses me off is that we will never find out.

Chyros

17 Sep 2016, 22:38

seebart wrote:
Chyros wrote:

No I don't think so. The fact that the " ~`" keycap is yellowed and it's the only key that is yellowed says it all. I have seen blank Alps-mount keycaps, just not on the FK-2001. And if this is board is genuine, what is this layout called then and why have we never ever seen anything like it? It's FRANKEN. Of course one can swap the entire case on the FK-2001. :? What pisses me off is that we will never find out.
I've had keyboards with selective yellowing, it's not that uncommon. But keys with equal yellowing from different boards, now that's quite rare. What's the chance of all the US keys having yellowed to the exact same degree as the native keys? Oo What keyboards do you know with blank Alps-mount caps? Especially in that row? Or some of the other keycaps, like the | key, which I'm not sure I've seen in that row before. I don't know what this layout is called, but let's be honest, that's never stopped Focus from making it, and second, a similar layout exists on for example the F122 (ISO US).

seebart

17 Sep 2016, 23:35

No Tom we can agree to disagree on this one. That's VERY selective yellowing then, which may be possible but quite uncommon. I don't know the F122 (ISO US) but I believe you, but this is not IBM. You and me know that the FK-2001 was produced in large numbers, if this is real it's a super rare variant. I'm still sceptical, it's very easy to swap cases and keycaps for any rows. I have seen an Ortek with a blank Alps-mount cap and yes that is rare to see on Alps-mount keycaps but not as rare as this FK-2001.

ISO/IEC 9995

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_9995

Chyros

18 Sep 2016, 00:20

seebart wrote: No Tom we can agree to disagree on this one. That's VERY selective yellowing then, which may be possible but quite uncommon. I don't know the F122 (ISO US) but I believe you, but this is not IBM. You and me know that the FK-2001 was produced in large numbers, if this is real it's a super rare variant. I'm still sceptical, it's very easy to swap cases and keycaps for any rows. I have seen an Ortek with a blank Alps-mount cap and yes that is rare to see on Alps-mount keycaps but not as rare as this FK-2001.

ISO/IEC 9995

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_9995
I guess we'll have to disagree then :p . I think the chances that someone robbed a bunch of caps off an FK-2001 with the exact degree of yellowing and a blank cap from an Ortek with identical yellowing as well and stuck them on an FK-2002 and swapped the case for a 2001 seems way too remote to me to seem realistic.

It's possible that the people at Focus commissioned special caps from Tai-Hao (they made the caps for both of them after all) and that they more or less hand-built a weird custom board for a small group of people in the US, I think that's quite plausible, but in that case it's not really a Frankenboard, it's just a custom-made model.

And yeah, that would make these very rare, but then again, so is the FK-1001. That's arguably even more nebulous :lol: .

seebart

18 Sep 2016, 00:31

Either way we will probably not find out any time soon. Hmm... FK-1001.. :roll: ...just have a full review ready by next week. :mrgreen: :evilgeek:

Dra

18 Sep 2016, 17:33

AT-102 with what appears to be dyesub PBT caps and salmon alps
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Tastatur-Sammler ... 2181928883

alh84001
v.001

18 Sep 2016, 17:50

Wow, nice find! Someone from DE/AT should definitely get that, if just for the caps. Board is yellowed, but switches may still be nice too.

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

18 Sep 2016, 22:42

alh84001 wrote: Wow, nice find! Someone from DE/AT should definitely get that, if just for the caps. Board is yellowed, but switches may still be nice too.
Now it is mine.
@Dra Thanks for the hint.

seebart

18 Sep 2016, 22:46

Congrats on that old Dell AT hypkx, those are quite rare in the EU. Looking foreward to your pics.

u-ra

18 Sep 2016, 22:57

Chyros wrote: The blank key isn't even on any Focus keyboard, or any Alps-mount board that I know of, in fact.

Some K104s have blanks. w/images/0/06/Monterey_K104_front_view_alternate.jpg

seebart

18 Sep 2016, 22:59

Very good point u-ra, my K104 does not have one for example. Thanks for pointing that out!

wiki/Monterey_K104

Chyros

19 Sep 2016, 00:14

u-ra wrote:
Chyros wrote: The blank key isn't even on any Focus keyboard, or any Alps-mount board that I know of, in fact.

Some K104s have blanks. w/images/0/06/Monterey_K104_front_view_alternate.jpg
Good point! It's in a different row though, I think it would've been possible to spot the difference in profile. And yellowing. I guess this keyboard is going to be a mystery regardless though xD .

Return to “Other external”